1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

How can I get Stereo Mix functionality?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by mikehende, Feb 14, 2008.

1. mikehende

mikehende Active Member

My new Dell laptop comes with Vista and does not have a "stereo Mix" function, my external Creative Soundblaster MP3+ soundcard also does not have this option, how can I get this stereo mix funtion please,? I would prefer a software option but if not, then hardware, help?

2. hueseph

hueseph Well-Known Member

What exactly are you trying to do? What function does this "stereo mix" serve? Are you talking about the stereo mix option in the recording panel/output/input of windows mixer?

3. mikehende

mikehende Active Member

Yes, exactly! I am trying to broadcast and need that function to do so properly. I tried using Virtual Cable but it doesn't work well.

4. hueseph

hueseph Well-Known Member

Broadcasting wirelessly to a reciever or from line out?

5. mikehende

mikehende Active Member

Sorry, I should have said webcasting, playing music over the net.

6. Space

Space Well-Known Member

Why do you have an external usb soundcard trying to webcast from an internal source?

I think there may just be a loose nut on the keyboard?

7. mikehende

mikehende Active Member

The external soundcard does not really have anything to do with the webcast, just that I am being told that some external soundcards have the stereo mix functionality so I am asking around to find out if anyone has a soundcard with this feature or if there is a software option?

8. Kapt.Krunch

Kapt.Krunch Well-Known Member

A "Stereo Mix" is generally thought of as a reduction mix down to stereo from many tracks in a multitrack recording.

I think nobody knows what you really mean by "Stereo Mix"?

All soundcards will do stereo. Are you trying to, say, crossfade two signals...or bring in a voice over the music at points? Is this what you mean? Are you trying to mix two separate stereo signals into one stereo mix?

Please elaborate, because I think nobody knows for sure.

Kapt.Krunch

9. mikehende

mikehende Active Member

I am trying to do webcasting but need the windows mixer stereo mix function to do this, unfortunately Dell and Microsoft have disabled the stereo mix function in new pc's and laptops running Vista so I and many more people are looking into ways to get the stereo mix option, hope this clears it up.

10. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

Mike -

This is turning into a 3-ring circus of a dog chasing its tail.

Simply telling us over and over that you need stereo mix function for web-casting doesn't help us understand at all what you need.

First of all, web casting should not use your sound card at all, nor should it utilize the Windows mixer. If you have a stereo recording, and you set it to be the broadcast, you are now web-casting in stereo. It's that simple.

Are you trying to web-cast live? Direct streaming? If so, and you're only attempting to do so using your built-in soundcard and Windows mixer, you should still be able to accomplish a stereo broadcast, but I would imagine you'd be subject to serious dropouts and likely some other glitches.

Please explain your entire process. What are you trying to accomplish? What software and hardware are you attempting to use? Is this live/streaming or is it save for broadcast? Where are you getting your information that you need "stereo mix" function?

11. mikehende

mikehende Active Member

I am trying to use this software for webcasting

http://www.ustream.tv/get-started

All this involves is enabling the windows stereo mix function, I am sorry I don't know how else to explain it? Anyway, the audio webcast is working on my XP machine but because I don't have the stereo mix on my vistal laptop, even with the help of the Virtual cable I am experiencing audio glitches so I absolutely do need the stereo mix function or something similar to webcast without any problems.

12. Kapt.Krunch

Kapt.Krunch Well-Known Member

AYE-YAI-AI!

OK, first of all, it seems you are maybe trying to push WAV file formats through the Internet? (Check out "Virtual Cable", for those of you who still may be curious about this thread). Even Hi-Speed doesn't really like large WAV streaming. You'll get hiccups. You'll have to figure out a way to send a smaller format conversion through to stream properly.

Since their web site is absolutely devoid of any relevant info, it's hard to know what they want, or even how you came to the conclusion that you need something like a "Stereo Mix Function", whatever that is.

Does that site do MP3 or RealAudio, or some other compressed sound streaming? Are you trying to push something through "real time", or is it files made beforehand?

You need to check all that out, figure out what you really need, and be more specific. We're trying to help, but that site is virtually useless, and you seem to not understand enough to zero in on the subject. You're going to have to do some of the footwork yourself, and try to understand exactly what it is you are having trouble with.

Obviously, "Windows Stereo Mix Function" means basically nothing to any of us, and some of these folks probably know a lot more than I do. If it is confusing people who work with this stuff all the time, then it stands to reason that you are not giving enough relevant info to properly help you.

BTW, you may check t see whatever input/outputs you are trying to go through in Vista is enabled in the Control Panel. I know my little Taskbar Speaker Icon mixer submenu on this Internet-only computer only has "Speakers" and "Windows Sounds" faders. I have only speakers connected. All the other inputs are not enabled, and have nothing plugged in. I have a hunch your question may have something to do with this, somehow.

That's all I can offer, because we are all in a position of basically guessing at what you are trying to get across. After you have done some research, please post back with some more pointed questions, and anyone will be glad to try to help.

Good luck,

Kapt.Krunch

13. Space

Space Well-Known Member

I have yet to locate the words stereo mix function on the website in question.

I have, however, located info that may be of some use?

It reads like you must be logged into your Ustream account BEFORE you begin anything.

http://www.ustream.tv/helpcenter/broadcastvideo#id2
    Configuring Sound

3. Select the audio device from the Audio Sources drop down menu. If you have a mic plugged into the input on your computer or laptop then select "Built-in Input". If you want to use the embedded webcam mic then select "Built-in Microphone". If you want to use the audio from a DV camera then you need to connect it to your laptop via a cable connection (i.e. XLR to 1/8" jack or 1/8" jack to 1/8" jack) and then select "Built-in Input".

I'm just here for the beer boss.

14. newlappyuser

newlappyuser Guest

First of all, I'm new to this forum.
    Secondly, I'm glad that I found this forum as I also need some information or sharing of experience in solving problems related to audio, recording, and broadcasting.

Now, about what mikehende has been talking about, the "stereo mix" or "wave out" option:
    1. It is true that in order that you can broadcast/webcast your sound file or video file through live streaming, you really need this "stereo mix" or "wave out" option to be enabled or activated on your sound card.
    2. Why is it so? I don't know how to explain it from an expert point of view but according to my (and friends') experience, that's the only way to do it.
    3. I have several computers with Windows XP on them, some with on-board sound cards, some with plug-in sound cards, and Windows XP can enable this option ("stereo mix" or "wave out") through the Volume Control--Options--Properties--Recording.
    Windows Vista, or at least Vista Home Premium installed on certain new laptops (and certain series) such as Sony, Dell, HP/Compaq, does not have an option to change the setting to enable this "stereo mix" or "wave out". Therefore, Mike, and I or others who usually have no problems streaming with Windows XP, now are having this problem with Vista.

If anyone could help Mike, and it means me and some other users too :D , it would be highly appreciated. Perhaps there are some hidden tricks with Vista on how to change the volume control or sound setting?

Thanks so much.

15. ustreamtech

ustreamtech Guest

I noticed your discussion on "stereo mixer" problems, perhaps I can help. If you are desiring to ustream then visit the ustream message board or email support@ustream.tv.
    Or even better, visit the Ustream Users Community Forum on Tuesdays and Fridays at 7:30 p.m. central for live discussion and help with your problem, it shouldn't be hard to straighten out..

16. Space

Space Well-Known Member

To hell with that...I for one would like to see this too its conclusion.

If I'm going to be able to fix this thing in the future, I want to know what it is so if it every comes back up again.

That is a verbatim quote from my first wife, btw.

17. aristjohn

aristjohn Guest

I think the easiest way to look at Mike's problem is... he's simply wants to do audio capture and then utilize upstream to webcast what he hears (for example a song in iTunes) and webcasting it over the net (so other users can hear what he heard), but the problem is he's stuck at audio capturing with stereo mix. All he's wanting to do is the capture the audio that is played through his sound card that comes out of his speakers. Then he just went on to say (or so it sounds like from what I'm reading) that he is doing it this way so he can webcast it back through to the net using upstream.

Mike... the problem you are having is a known issue and cannot be resolved (regarding enabling stereo mix which was your original dilemma that you were talking about on the board). Dell is aware of all the pissed off (and rightly so) consumers, and has been "man enough" -- so to speak -- to at least admit it. Microsoft, however, has not been so gracious as implementing honesty as their best policy. OEM contracts have caused the functionality of stereo mixing on your sound card to be disabled. Unfortunately you are pretty much out of look and are going to have to figure out some other way of doing it.

For the guys that can actually help out Mike with explaining what kind of hardware he needs... Mike correct me if I'm wrong... he sounds like he is just needing some kind of hardware that will allow him to record music that he hears come out of his speakers with quality in tact. Everything else he can DO himself. It sounds like there isn't any kind of problem with upstreaming, it's the actual capturing of the audio that he is wanting to record so he CAN use upstream to webcast it.

Mike, if that's not what you are talking about doing well then ::shrug:: but at least you know now that the stereo mix issue can't be resolved and you can put it to rest.

18. grovedweller

grovedweller Guest

stereo mix

ok i have a similiar problem,

i was told that i can record any sound that is coming out of my computer using sound recorder just like you see in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg3vs7oh32s : what i am trying to do is take the sound from a video and record it into wav format, from there i know how to do what i want with it

my problem is that when i go in my volume controls i goto options- then properties and when i select recording and i am only able to pick from line in and microphone. now i tried switching my mixer device but i am only able to use sigma tel audio. what i want to know is how can i get the choice of stereo mix..

thankyou everyone and if you dont understand watch the video its exactly what i am trying to do.

19. aristjohn

aristjohn Guest

Grove, if you right click in your Sound mixer under the Recording Devices tab, and "Show Disabled Devices" is checked, and you still are unable to see Stereo Mixer, then you are one of the unfortunate customers that bought a computer from a manufacturer (Dell, HP, etc) that has made an agreement with the RIAA to have Stereo Mix disabled due to potential copyright issues that may occur with the feature being enabled. E.g. Recording/Capturing copyrighted material via your sound card using stereo mix.

The only other problem it could be is that you have a very old sound card that did not provide this option to begin with. Most likely, your problem is the OEM agreement with RIAA.

20. grovedweller

grovedweller Guest

thanks artist john.

i just got this dell inspiron as an unexpected gift for christmas, now it seems it does have the stereo mix disabled and i cant seem to find any way to enable it.... is there anything i can do, download, or buy to fix this problem?