1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

how do I hook up 2 computer screen monitors???

Discussion in 'Monitoring / Headphones' started by dirtysouthstunta, Dec 1, 2005.

1. how do I hook up 2 computer screen monitors??? My midi controller is on one wall, and my computer is on another wall, I would like to have a monitor on both walls, even if everything on both screens are the same, what are my options? is there a way to split the monitor cable? what do I need? adapters? thanks!

2. Calgary

Calgary Active Member

The ideal way is to grab a dual head video card. You can get a decent dual head card for under $100 if you shop smart, i.e. ATI Radeon. It will allow you to run in either of two modes:

1. Clone mode - both monitors show the same data.
    2. Extended desktop - effectively doubles the width of your desktop. Superb for running DAWs like Nuendo, etc. You can run either monitor in any resolution typically but most people go 1024 X 768 and 1024 X 768.

3. I'm using pro tools, how would I set it up to see the mixer view in one monitor and the edit view on the other monitor?

how does the mouse work when there are 2 monitors?

where can I find a card like that for cheap?

4. one more thing... is there such thing as a bad video card that maybe doesn't put out as clear of a screen, because there is a few on ebay for like 20 bucks including shipping, the model number is...
    Matrox G450 Dual Head Monitor 16MB 4X AGP Video Card

5. IIRs

IIRs Well-Known Member

If you use mode 2 (as described by Calgary) your two monitors will function as one large desktop, and you can choose whether to stretch a single app across both screens, or use them to display different windows / applications.

You using a mac? I'm windows: that lets me define the physical relationship between the two monitors (eg: screen 1 to the left of screen 2) so when I drag the mouse off the right hand edge of the first screen it appears on the left side of the second.. I'm sure the same can be acheived with a mac but someone else will have to tell you how.. ;)

6. nah, I'm on a PC too, are different brands of cards better than others?

7. oh, and if I did decide to put 2 monitors far apart from each other and just make the screen appear identical on both, can I use 2 mouses so that I can have one in front of both screens?

8. McCheese

McCheese Well-Known Member

Get either an ATI or an nVidia. You don't need the $200+ gaming cards. ATI actually makes their own cards, nVidia designs them and other companies make them. Both companies make top-notch products.

Something like THIS would do you well. You won't be gaming on it, but it'll be perfect for what you want to do.

I don't know about the two mice thing. How about just a wireless mouse you could take around the room?

9. McCheese

And that Matrox on ebay is an outdated POS, and is only AGP4x, which is really slow and old.

10. Calgary

Calgary Active Member

FWIW I strongly recommend not getting the Matrox. I've had 2 out of 2 Matrox video cards fail on me. By contrast none of the ATi or Nvidia cards I've bought have ever failed. Just my experience anyhow... :cool:

11. Thomas W. Bethel

Thomas W. Bethel Well-Known Member

Funny I have had exactly the opposite happen two ATI cards going bad (an lots of trouble with the drivers) and my Matrox card is still going strong after 4 years of constant use. The cards we both are having problems with must have been made on an off day!

12. TimRP

TimRP Guest

No problems with having more then one mouse, as long as at least one is USB of course.

13. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

The video card war has been going on for YEARS...

For a while, Matrox ruled the world. Then ATI came along. Then EVERYBODY was destroyed by VooDoo and VooDoo 2 and ultimately VooDoo 3. Then, like the Phoenix, ATI arose from the ashes. Matrox never really did (that is, in the 3D world...the 2D world is a different story) and then newer, faster vendors came on board and now it's all just a big mess.

If you are only using the PC for DAW work and occassional files, etc. then you don't need a fancy 3D card. The Matrox cards are amazing cards and some of the finest (if not THE finest) 2D rendering engines on the planet. Don't expect them to do 3D though. (No games or cool maze screen savers :cry: )

I know someone already poo-poo'ed the old Matrox, but in reality, that's all you would need. 4x AGP and 16MB are plenty for 2D and that card was actually a good dual-head card.

ATI also makes some very cool dual-heads, but most (if not all) include a 3D engine. If you don't need 3D, see if you can disable it. It does request info from the CPU even if you're not using 3D.

The thing is, you won't really be taxing any card you put into service for 2D work, so just about anything will do.

J.

14. Calgary

Calgary Active Member

Thomas, older Matrox cards are a whole different beast than newer ones form what I've heard. I'm not 100% sure that's the case but my impression is that the new ones fail much more than they should. Who really knows. In my case I'll never buy anything by Matrox again though. I've read the ATI drivers are much better, again that's just someone's opinion though... :)

15. Calgary

Calgary Active Member

Thomas, older Matrox cards are a whole different beast than newer ones from what I've heard. I'm not 100% sure that's the case but my impression is that the new ones fail much more than they should. Who really knows. In my case I'll never buy anything by Matrox again though. I've read the ATI drivers are much better, again that's just someone's opinion though... :)

16. Sanity Inn

Sanity Inn Guest

Here's a link for a couple of ideas,,

you can also use a monitor switch if you don't need to look at both screens at same time

or put in a second single head vid card, try to match them as both monitors will run at the lesser cards specs, downside, thakes up slots,,,

http://www.ehow.com/how_13829_connect-two-monitors.html

hope it helps out ..

SI

17. what do you mean by this?

18. Sanity Inn

Sanity Inn Guest

If i remember correctly, but research and double check

to make it simple

if one car goes 30 mph, and the other goes 60 mph, when they both go they can only both go 30 mph,,

now this was for windows 98 back when i was thinking of doing this, again from memory,

but i just wanted you to know options of
    a) using 2 single cards
    or
    B) the monitor swith

hope i didn't confuse you

G'Luck

SI

19. corso

corso Guest

Hah! Disn't see this, and posted a similar "how do I do this?" thread, but for Mac...so, if any Mac pros stumble in here, stumble next door and help a brother out.

20. McCheese

These days with good video cards both screens do not need to be at the same settings. At work I run a 21" LCD at 1280x1024x60Hz and a 17" CRT at 1280x960x85Hz. They are both running different color calibrations as well.