1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

how do i hook up mackie 32 channel 8bus to pro tools digi02

Discussion in 'Pro Tools' started by DSmatt, Dec 26, 2007.

1. DSmatt

DSmatt Guest

hi there, just wondering how to hook up a mackie 32 channel to pro tools digi 02 rack. what other hardware would i need etc.. any help i would really be great. would i need to get a patch bay in order to do that ? if anyone could help me out in kind of a step by step type thing that would be cool! ha well thanks.

-matt

2. bent

bent No Bad Vibes! Well-Known Member

There are many ways to skin a cat.

Which model Mackie are we talking about?

3. drstudio

drstudio Active Member

Here's my 2 cents.
    You could do a couple of things with this set up.

That console has Tape sends and returns. It's a little deceiving when you look at the back of the desk. It will have 24 tape sends, which are all coming from your 8 buses ie; tape send 1-8 are sent via buses 1-8, tape sends 9-16, are also sent from bus 1-8. and so on.
    So, you could use your 8 buses to send into the 8 inputs on your digi02. then you can return into the first 8 tape returns on your console. There's a Tape / Line switch at the top of each strip on the console which will route either Tape or Mic/Line to the fader, or the inline knob, so you can have basically 2 inputs per strip as this is an inline desk.

Another way would be to use the console like a split desk. You can use say the last 8 inputs on the desk as mic pre's and wire the direct outputs of those channels into your Digi02, then bring the outputs of the digi02 back into say the first 8 inputs on your desk.

The last thing to consider is that you are using a Mackie. You may want to just mix in the box, as the quality of the console is not such that you will really benefit from returning the 8 outputs of your digi02, unless you have some smoking outboard comps / eq's / effects. So you may be better off just using a couple of channels to monitor through.

Hope this long convoluted answer helps!!!

4. Link555

Link555 Well-Known Member

Drstudio explained the tape/Line function, but don't forget
    The 8 bus also has the direct outs on each strip. I use both the tape sends and the direct outs. If I have more than 8 tracks to record at once I use the direct outs.

The Mackie 8 bus board adds a 'colour' to the sound, if you like that sound great! If you don't then you may want to consider mixing in the box.
    Typically I use mine if I have too, otherwise I use discrete pre-amps.

Have Fun!