1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

How do I make my vocals sound decent?

Discussion in 'Vocals' started by STORMSHADOW04, Jun 28, 2005.

1. I am trying to record hip hop vocals, but my voice always sounds like I am in a box, or behind the music. I am using a Tube MP Studio pre-amp, and a MXL v57 condenser mic. Is this the wrong equipment. What can I do?
  2. RandomGuest

RandomGuest Guest

Feb 10, 2001
    Well, do you want to spend more money? It never hurts. It's up to you. Several guys will be happy (and myself as well) to suggest some nice "good sounding" gear.
    How much would you think about spending down the road?
  3. Whatever it takes! Please help!!
  4. mikE@THECAVE

mikE@THECAVE Guest

try cutting back on cheep reverbs..they seem to give a boxy type sound..just use very little
  5. No reverb Or just hold back?
  6. mikE@THECAVE

mikE@THECAVE Guest

thats up to you --a little reverb might help --also solo your vocal and work on the sound without the other instuments-- get as close as you can to the sound and then put it in the mix...you may need a better mic to get a better sound i dont know how good that mic is
  7. mikE@THECAVE

mikE@THECAVE Guest

i think i might pick up a SP C-1 would be tits on hip hop
  8. Thank you so much! Do you have any advise on recording software? Right now I am using Cool Edit Pro 2.1 & Magix Music Maker.
  9. Who makes SP C-1
  10. mikE@THECAVE

mikE@THECAVE Guest

no i dont--but i was thinkin a nice compressor setting might help your vocals..do you use one
  11. I dont know the right way to use compression on vocals. I do well with instruments though. But I have the Diamond Waves Pack. I use the C4 compressor from that.
  12. mikE@THECAVE

mikE@THECAVE Guest

13. What is the site to? I clicked it but got confused!
  14. mikE@THECAVE

mikE@THECAVE Guest

well a compressor can be used to get that in your face type sound in extreme settings like a special effect --you'll have to add it and see...in regular setting it will make your vocal sit in the mix better i suggest 6to1 ratio to start
  15. Oh it is for the C-1. Thanks! My mic is almost identical to it. Almost the same specs and all.
  16. mikE@THECAVE

mikE@THECAVE Guest

that the C#1 site
  17. What is a good software compressor?
  18. mikE@THECAVE

mikE@THECAVE Guest

i must go to other forums and help the people --good luck
  19. thanks for your help Mike!~ Peace!
  20. Fishybob

Fishybob Guest

Do you have any absorbing materials around the rear of the vocalist? I think the boxy sound is from small room colouration.
    Just sling a duvet behind the singer and check out the difference!

... then let us know!!