1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

How Do You? PART 1

Discussion in 'Recording' started by skawful, Jul 19, 2006.

1. skawful

skawful Guest

Eh lets see how all you cool folks do your setups and junk eh!?

Part One **Drums** - provide a simple paragraph or two (or 5) on how you go from
    -setting up drums
    -placing/chosing mics
    -what hardware you run it through
    -board settings
    -input levels
    -mixing?
    -tips? tricks?

The main reason I am posting this and encouraging many of you to reply is because after reading a lot of material and learning a lot about recording the only useful information I have EVER gotten was from INDIVIDUALS TELLING ME HOW THEY DO CERTAIN THINGS and DOING THINGS FOR MYSELF. please help us all out and tell us what you do and why? and if people actually reply we'll move on to Guitars.

2. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Guest

First, I'll take a big bag O' micophones.

Second, I'll put those micophones in and around the drum stuff.

Third, I'll plug them all into the old console and fire them up.

Fourth, I'll listen to the drummer play the drums.

Fifth, if I don't like the way the drums sound, I will come out and hit the drummer up side the head. That usually makes them sound all right then.

The lovely and sophisticated
    Ms. Remy Ann David

3. JoeH

JoeH Well-Known Member

Skawful, so you're from Canada, eh?

Remy, hitting drummers upside the head will only get you a sore hand. They really don't feel pain like the rest of us do. :twisted:

4. mic the set (57's and dedicated kick mic), mic the room (large dia. 4 or 5 will do)
    If I don't like the tone I alter the set, if I don't like the dynamics I alter the room.

If I fix something I don't like before I record it's easier on my eyes.

5. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Guest

"What do you mean you can't sing with that thing in your face???"

Papadelicious, please zip up your fly?

That's why they call it a cockpit
    Ms. Remy Ann David

6. CharlesDayton

CharlesDayton Active Member

Make sure you hit the drummer in time with the beat. Why are you setting your mics on fire? Does that get you a hotter signal?