1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

How good is your ear. Can your guess the recording equipment used?

Discussion in 'Vintage Analog Gear' started by SharkFM, Dec 30, 2010.

1. SharkFM

SharkFM Active Member

Not sure that is a fair question but anyone want to take a stab at how this song was recorded? For example recording equipment used, mics, etc. # of tracks, the instruments and (approx) year it was done?

http://www.fmrecords.ca/dna.wma

I think the mp3 is here too http://www.fmrecords.ca/dna.mp3

2. Big K

Big K Well-Known Member

Lol.....
    How would you think those questions could ever be answered to the least bit of correctness?
    Must be a little joke of yours..
    ;-)

I suggest to ask the producer.. and I bet even he would probably not know this, anymore.
    Instead of speculating wildly, I rather say that I am not fond of the sound, mix and mastering.

3. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Is this a test? Do you know the answers or are you asking so you can somehow try and duplicate this sound? You're right. Its not a fair question.

One thing does stand out. Theres a LOT of Lexicon on this recording.

4. SharkFM

SharkFM Active Member

hints..

yes it is a test of sorts. like i said take a stab. I figured that with all the high powered recording gurus and ears of deduction there would be some guesses.

first off we are in the vintage section and the year we did this was 1986. "we" is the guy on drums and myself. we were a band of EE (elec engrs) punks playing the indie scene in Toronto.

So yes it is "lexiconned" to death that was our only effect ....but lexicon was way too much $$

5. audiokid

audiokid Staff

damn, I'm on dialup at my winter cabin for NEW YEARS PARTY! which I hope to someday have a CANADIAN RO party!!
    Ice fishing and good old scotch!

Being said, I love the excitement brewing on this thread and can't wait to add my two cents once I return to high speed on Monday.

Cheers!

6. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Ah, I'm in. You are Canadian so I'm even happier! I was deep into the business at that time so please don't give it all up until I'm back on Monday night, okay!

7. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Sounds like 1985 ( maybe 83), Yamaha Rev 7 or possibly Alesis ,
    Live recording. Soundcraft console. In a club. 2 tracks or 4 tracks sent to 244 porta studio or Fostex :)
    Sounds Canadian with a British taste. I can almost hear the Martin Bins. :cool:

I'll try the mics and shoot high... guessing now.

Sennheiser lead. Shure 58 as usual, what else was there for the road. The 441..31??? That spike around 7k that bothered me. I hear it in the lead but it could be part of that processor.

8. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Not 441, the one with the large band around it with holes??? brain freeze They felt cheap to me but suited that voice. Can't nail it...

looked like this:

9. Davedog

Its not 'live'.( Love the Martin bins BTW!! Chris)

Were you saying that the effects were NOT Lexicon? Or that was the only effect unit you had?

I love the Rev7's. I have 2 of them still. Verbs for the ages.

10. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Got to be live. Its how most A bands sounded up here back then. Its live.

Edit: Missing 100hz and below in the mix to be studio quality I think. Live Martin bass bins did that in the mix :). Over exaggerated 100 hz with those Martin bins always kills the mix.

Hey Dog, I have an old Yamaha Rev7 RC-7 Remote Control
    and manual I just found yesterday. Need that?

11. audiokid

audiokid Staff

What makes you think its not live and man, I hope SharkFM returns. I can't take the suspense in all this!

12. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I got to get better glasses, lol. I just saw he recorded this in 86 rotf! You all must think I'm half baked most of the time. I keep missing text all the time and am refusing to get better glasses. I think its time.

Okay, I took a blind shot at 85 and he said 86 so I'm close. I win !

If I'm off on the portastudio my next quess is a Fostex G16. only because I used to have one and it sounded somewhat similar and that was the time it came out (86) . But I still think its recorded live but in a controlled environment. Maybe a club you were playing in and coming off a Soundcraft live console. It doesn't sound like this was done using very many tracks.

13. SharkFM

SharkFM Active Member

Not bad at all..

Well done, pretty much got it...
    This was all ping ponged one track at a time (not live however) on a
    4 track Fostex250 cassette portable - still got the thing ($750 or so used)
    SM58, AKG 310 and I have an old AKG Dxx? (in the house can't find it) used that on the kick.
    Reverb is actually a SRV2000 Roland paid something $800 for it,
    Board is a Tangent 1202ax - have that too.
    " mastered" onto a Metal cassette and had a buddy (Jerry Wong works sound for Lover boy) put it onto a CD for me a couple of years ago.
    Fender Contemporary strat and a red bass git.

OK I used the same gear as above except this time I have Adobe Audition, trial version and played a Korg Triton 88 extreme. I started this track on a whim at 10 pm New year's eve got it done at 4 am. Used a couple of adapters to pump the old Tangent's board headphone feed straight into my PC (no audio interface) so it'a all played essentially live & analog no digital to digital. SM58 for vocals. Check it out.

fmrecords.ca/Newyearsday2011FMX.wma

BTW Happy new year everyone!

PS I ordered a bunch of MXL condensor mics and a Tascam USB interface but UPS has that at the moment.

14. Davedog

Chris, I'd love to have that remote and I already downloaded the manual but send it anyway. PM me I'll send you shipping. They simply work better with the remote as far as changing the parameters of the verbs.

Roland effects was my next guess. Too much depth for Alesis for the time. I used to own an SRV2000 and an SDE3000. Still have two SDE1000's.

Shark....are you just messing with us about the MXL mics? If not, why?

15. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Thanks for the fun SharkFM, that made my weekend! Well done for the gear.

Dave, I'll send you both for sure then. It will be a few months wait. The manual is here and remote at my cottage and I won't be back there until spring most likely. I'll PM you when I get them.

Cheers!

16. SharkFM

SharkFM Active Member

thanks for listening.

Back then it kinda drove me nuts that we could not get a "studio" sound. Everything was straight at you even if the tracks were split or doubled to create some sort of stereo effect. The reverb had a stereo output so we lathered it on.

Now I don't think this was really because of the how low end the gear was... we were missing something fundamental on the processing side. I mean at the end of the day you are not creating an authentic "recording" but a simulation or representation that is playing someone's stereo speaker system to con the listener into thinking it's the real thing (a band playing)....and in of course most areas sound better than the real thing (which causes issues for the major studios ->leads to lip synch live performances).

Adobe has the stereo imagery processing and other stereo effects - that is what I suspect it was. Of course there must be 5.1 processors out there to, that take sort of linear tracks and split them up to create audio space (delays, rebounds, reflections etc.) for the listener.

OK - I got a recording pkg from Musician's Friend on sale included the MXL's and I also bought another 2 mics to back that up. These MXL's are rated 5 stars - could be BS. But my sons are recording their band on IPODS and video cameras so this has to be better than that. Just doing some recordings good enough for demos, writing and online sharing. Hope they are going to work out. I have never used a cond mic before.

17. Davedog

I think in that case this is what you'll find having never used a condenser before..... At first you're going to think that these are really nice because the upper end is so hyped that everything is going to sound bright and up front. This will wear off soon as you start finding that these tracks dont sit well with each other or play well with tracks recorded with something like an SM57/58. The Shure will seem like it doesnt have the highend at first until your ear becomes trained to hear the BALANCE in the frequencies.....not to say the 57/58 is all that balanced!!!

The work you did on those other recordings sounded fine for your purpose and I'm sure that the new mics will fit the job you ask of them as long as you are not expecting results like you might find in a $3 million dollar room. Unfortunately some of the hype surrounding these lower priced pieces of gear would have you believe this to be what you should expect.

Musicians XXXXiNX as well as most other large scale discount houses simply rate their products by the number of units sold rather than an objective real-time analysis or comparison of quality of sound. So it doesnt surprise me that they are 5stars.....Probably a lot of units sold....everyones on a budget so it only makes sense for people to buy into something they can afford simply on needs vs. quality. I have no quarrel with that philosophy.

Personally,I need about 20K to flesh out a few things here at the ranch.

None of which involve MXL mics. But thats just me.

18. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I've never used MXL mics. Everyone... Are they worth buying? I surfed for pricing, extremely inexpensive and very nice looking worries me. A mic with its own power supply, Mogami cable and a tube for 650.00 kind of tells me you are buying a lot of metal,finish coatings and hype.

Stick with sm58 until you can afford one good one at a time. Am I wrong on MXL guys? I may be negative for no reason?

19. audiokid

audiokid Staff

And no cigar from the contenders lol! That was fun.

20. SharkFM

SharkFM Active Member

MXL's are scary cheap. And Chinese of course. But... they seem to be getting happy reviews. comes down to specs s/n is a big one as is the dynamics i suppose how the mic responds to changes, you guys would know more about that than i. the freq response i mean you can eq that and save the map.

MXL mic sound.
    members.cox.net/plane/MXL990.mp3