1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

How is this mix?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by THeBLueROom, Jan 31, 2005.

1. THeBLueROom

THeBLueROom Guest

http://www.theblueroomstudio.com/_music/hotel.mp3

this is a rough mix, but let me know what you think it's lacking. what sounds good? I need some good ears on this track so I figured this was a good place to come. :)

thanks,
    E.

2. BitBurn

BitBurn Guest

It sounds like its recorded well enough but I'm hating the tone of the guitars... almost sounds like what happens when I have the presence and gain up too high on my dual rec... a really grainy loose distortion, like an over saturation

I would definitely have rather heard a very saturated rich and tight gain personally, but hey, if they wanna turn thier mesa rig into a giant fuzz pedal, I guess I can't argue :lol: :roll: :lol:

3. THeBLueROom

THeBLueROom Guest

the funny thing is the gain was on 11:00. and it was a dual rec ;)

4. Roey

Roey Guest

I have more than a few things to say, but here are the most important ones:

Levels - the kick and snare are much louder than anything in the mix (are you the drummer?).

Drums - don't sound real: the crashes are way at the back, the ride and the HH are roughly in the centre, and there is no real feel of ambience. If I close my eyes, I cannot imagine myself in front of a real drum kit.

The overall mix is lacking brightness (vocals, guitars, cymbals)

Bass is not defined enough.

5. THeBLueROom

THeBLueROom Guest

no, I'm not in the band ...but they wanted the "popular" drum sound with really punchy everything. the ride actually is near the center physically and the highhat is off to the right a bit. I always record from the audience perspective. I agree the snare a bit loud in the mix, I need to turn it down, but I think the kick is right for the style of music. I also agree with the brightness, but I'll take care of that sparkle in mastering. cymbals should come up as well.
    thanks man

mix updated as of 7:40 pm 1/31

6. therecordingart

therecordingart Well-Known Member

What pre was used on the drums?

7. Skyweaver

Skyweaver Guest

Just a personal opinion,

I dig where the vocals sit and the drums, (may some pronounced delay/reverb on vox here and there?)

its just the guitar that shoulds a little "thin" especially for this genre, and some bottom end from the bass.

Overall its a great piece to be working with.

what did you use to record it ?

8. THeBLueROom

THeBLueROom Guest

I just talked the singer into letting ME double the guitar parts for the chorus ...I'll put that one up in a bit

drum pres and mics:
    OH: GT44s --> Sebatron vmp200eVU
    Snare: MD421 ---> API 512c
    Kick: Red5Audio RVD1 ---> Joe Meek VC1Q (mixed with sample)
    Toms: D2s (rack) D4 (floor) --->Focusrite ISA428

Everything tracked and mixed ITB (Logic Pro 7)

mix updated 9:00pm 1/31/05

9. Skyweaver

Skyweaver Guest

great ! what was the vocals recorded with ?

10. THeBLueROom

THeBLueROom Guest

TLM103-->Sebatron

11. John Stafford

John Stafford Well-Known Member

I like the vocal sound a lot. Maybe it could be a bit louder? I love the snare sound too.

John Stafford

12. J-MADD

J-MADD Active Member

I like it. Did you compress vocals after tracking? I would agree that the snare is a little loud, but that is a style that some people prefer. Its cool.

Justin

13. THeBLueROom

THeBLueROom Guest

thanks guys!

yea, I compressed the vox, but I think I need to compress a little more to bring every syllable out.

14. Thomaster

Thomaster Guest

sounds good!!
    i like it for a rough mix, but i would add just a little clarity to the vocals and perhaps to the snare also, that way you can drop the volume of it a little, because i think the snare is way too loud even for this music

great job

15. THeBLueROom

THeBLueROom Guest

yup, I agree ...little mroe comp on the vocals will help