1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

How Much Does A Recording Studio Cost?

Discussion in 'Room Acoustics / Studio Design' started by kmetal, Feb 19, 2016.

1. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Well-Known Member

This is a popular question. I've been in some preliminary talks with a potential new client for a design and supervisory role on a new home studio build in my area.

The obvious question is how much, the reply, well..... It depends. So many variables exist in studio construction it's very different than any other type of construction in a home.

So as a preliminary starting talking point I have him a basic structural materials cost estimate. This was based on the alloted area 22'x24' with two rectanglular rooms, divided by a double wall assembly. Very crude, but a starting point, and a weigh to address some basic cost vs benefit stuff. Since rooms of these sizes are so common in the home studio boom I thought it might be useful.

It also be great to hear from the others who have built, or had studios built for them, to get a scope of studio costs in general. I'll attach the cover sheet full size and the breakdown in the attachments. I'll also include one preliminary layout, which is non rectangular, and based closely of the picture on the cover of Build It Like The Pros.

image.png

image.png

Attached Files:

2. kmetal

Limit of 5 attachments here's the rest of the first cost sheet.

Attached Files:

3. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

" How much does a studio cost?"

LOL.. how much ya got?

or, "if you have to ask, then you probably can't afford it..."

kmetal likes this.
  4. pcrecord

pcrecord Don't you want the best recording like I do ? Well-Known Member

We are talking Home studio here, right ?
    My first question would be, what do you want to record and what level of quality do you want?

You can do some effective podcast for arounds 500$.
    In my situation, I was aiming high quality and I wanted to be able to produce a full band, so I'm in for about 25k of investment so far.

kmetal likes this.
  5. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

Have you posted any pictures on RO previously Marco?...if so I'd like to have a look at them if you can remember the thread.

6. kmetal

Lol, way more than your wife will let you spend.

Yeah Marco we discussed about 20k being the number right now. I think that's about what it takes 20-30k. Your right in there. Something around the 900-1000 sqf seems to land around 35-50k

If you DIY everything you could probably pull off 10k which is where the materials will probably land on this one.

In fact lol the materials for the whole house structurally probably land about 10k lol.

From what I gather it's the cost of the basic room x3-5.

25k is a serious investment Marco. But I think considering a lot of rigs fall in that range between the computers recording gear and instruments, that you truly need 'good rooms' to get the most out of it.

It's funny how easy it is to make a podcast type thing sound good as you mentioned, but remarkable how many audio how to vids, and vlogs have terrible acoustics. Particularly the audio how to's should know better.

7. pcrecord

I've changed many things in the last year. I think I'm in for another photoshot.. ;)
    But here's a quick pic I took
    Studio.JPG

Sean G and kmetal like this.
  8. kmetal

Looks tight Marco. I'm nervous if I sneeze over here in Massachusetts I might knock over that killer bunch of rack stuff you got there buddy. I'll refrain from sneezing lol.

Did you do the work and design yourself?

9. pcrecord

Yes, I did it all by myself (and some help from my girlfriend).
    I know very well that my settup is not ideal but it's the best I could do with the space that was given to me.
    I built a room in a room 11x10' with an air space double wall and the rest of the place is 17 x 14'.
    I have a small tool space where I can put guitar amps too.. (10x7)

kmetal likes this.
  10. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

That looks like a nice setup Marco, well done.

- Is that little bobble-head on the right nearfield a little version of you ?

I imagine when your mixing he's rockin' right along to the beat with you. :D

11. pcrecord

Yes it's a mini me !! It was a gift from my girlfriend, she ordered it from japan !! :)

Sean G likes this.
  12. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

i don't think that space is suitable to invest that much into. i wouldn't put more than $200 or $300 for treatments into it but i certainly wouldn't do any construction. not if you're really serious about recording and mixing real instruments live. if all you do is vst's you could record but i would still worry about mixing. the C/R as presented has issues too, mainly the fact you have it firing into compression. mix rooms should open up (like a horn) not close down. treatments cannot compensate for that.

by the time you divide it in to a C/R and live room, along with how low the ceiling is, you just don't have a suitable space. even if you do a one room thing, you still have the ceiling that is way too low. if you could raise the ceiling to 14 feet, you could do a mix room there.

JayTerrance and audiokid like this.
  13. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

I thought it was !

14. Brien Holcombe

Brien Holcombe Well-Known Member

He needs to get sketch up or a cad program.

15. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

Use one of those Kleenex tissues on your NS-10s' Kyle....;)

kmetal likes this.
  16. DonnyThompson

I wouldn't say it's impossible to get a decent mix in a room with a ceiling lower than 14' - much of mixing is being familiar with the inadequacies or issues of a particular environment, too. That's not to say that it isn't preferred - to have a good sounding space - but it's not impossible to get a good mix in a room that is less than perfect - if you are familiar with your room and your monitors.

JayTerrance likes this.
  17. Kurt Foster

a lot of things can be done in less than perfect circumstances. we're talking about putting thousands of dollars into a room for what? less than desirable results? to have to be "familer" with the room to use it? a few hundred in removable treatments (fiberglass panels and fluffy pink for absorption) will get you there without destroying the value of your house.

JayTerrance likes this.
  18. JayTerrance

JayTerrance Active Member

Yeah - investing $25K in 8 foot ceilings doesn't seem like a good ROI. If I'm spending anything over $10k I would demand 14 ft ceilings or higher. Actually, I wouldn't invest any money at all in something that has 8 foot ceilings...removable treatments at best.

However, it is a good point being made that you can "learn the room", as I have had to learn my home studio's control room with a 12 foot ceiling. But 8 foot ceilings would really make that exponentially tough.

19. Kurt Foster

it all depends on what the intended use of the room is. a 50 hZ wave is 22 feet plus long. 140 Hz wave is 8 feet plus. these are simple criterion we can apply to discern the suitability of a space for the intended purpose.

Allen Sides insists he needs to hear a 33Hz wave to correctly mix a kick drum. he builds custom monitor systems that deliver that low, however they are quite large and require huge rooms to operate in. this is why all the mix rooms he owns are very large. a simple solution is to limit the bandwith of the monitor system you use but these days everyone is obsessed with very deep bass. it's a recipe for disaster i tell 'ya! to spend an inordinate amount on a room that small would be imo, a disservice to the client. we can install a jet engine in a lawn mower but just because it's possible, doesn't mean it's a great idea. lol.

http://www.mcsquared.com/wavelength.htm
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/publications/rdreport_1993_08

please don't shoot the messenger. i don't make these rules.

20. DonnyThompson

I'm not even sure if my Alesis Monitor One passives will even reproduce that low... I think they're good to down around 40 - or so - maybe. I can't recall now, I'd have to look up the specs.