1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

How To: Adding a Removable IDE drive to a G4

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Faeflora, Jul 11, 2001.

1. Faeflora

Faeflora Guest

I wanted cheap removable hard drive storage for my G4 to archive all my files to and to have a way to store a single project on each disk.

I wanted to use IDE because it's cheap fast, and pretty reliable. I didn't want to use firewire or SCSI because they're more expensive.

I bought a Kingston/Storcase DE75i-A100. It's a half-height removable drive chassis that fits into 5.25 inch bays.

I put it into the 5.25 bay of the G4. It didn't quite fit all the way in (thanks to Apple's nonstandard pseudo-ATX sizing) so I ripped off the ears of the bay chassis with some pliers. It then fit in nicely.

I took the springy door off of the G4 so it didn't sit half open.

Voila. Removable IDE drives from my G4!

I wanted to let ya'all know about this too so you don't have to blow money on removable SCSI drives.

Now, when I fill up my SCSI recording disks or finish a project, I just copy all my files to a removable disk, back up to tape, reformat and start again.
  2. Opus2000

Opus2000 Distinguished Member

Apr 7, 2001
    Good stuff man...that's why I stick with PC's..flexability at it's best with the cases!!! But...that's a whole new argument!!
  3. mars

mars Guest

Sonnet is coming up with 'ATA100' PCI card for Mac.
    You'll be able to hook up to four internal ATA/IDE drives.

More details at http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0107/18.sonnetstorage.shtml
  4. Faeflora

Faeflora Guest

Actually, I have their 2-bus ATA/66 model coming to me in the mail.

I bought it for $80 i think, from macgurus. The reason I got it was because it comes with SoftRAID which I need for my SCSI audio disks. Softraid costs $130 on it's own so this was a good deal!