1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

How to assign tracks to my Mackie Onyx 1220i mixer in Logic Pro 9?

Discussion in 'Logic' started by Arnstein, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Arnstein

Arnstein Active Member

How do I assign a track to my Mackie Onyx 1220i mixer in Logic Pro 9? I tried choosing under I/O but I only find output 1 and 2 there.

2. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

Make sure you are selected the Onyx ASIO driver from within Logic. I am not familiar with Logic at all, but within Tracktion you have to also "enable" the other inputs and outputs for the Onyx or other ASIO driver. Once you have it set up the way you want, then save that as a default.

3. TheJackAttack

Also, only the iOnyx series will have more than two outputs. The original Onyx mixer series with firewire add on card will not have the same capabilities.

4. Arnstein

Arnstein Active Member

I have this mixer:
    http://www.mackie.com/products/onyx1220i/

Is that iOnyx?

On Core Audio in Preferences it says Onyx 1220i on both input and output. I hope there are some Logic geeks here 8)

5. TheJackAttack

This may have something to do with the Core Audio settings too. I haven't been a Mac person since 2002 so I'm afraid I can't help with that. Audition and Reaper and PT-M automatically enable all inputs and outputs when the proper ASIO is selected. That's why it might be some setting within Core Audio.

6. TheJackAttack

I found this on the Mackie website. It may or may not be related to your I/O defaulting to two tracks.

7. Arnstein

Arnstein Active Member

Hmm, still nothing. I JUST got this mixer, and I'm new to this whole thing, so I might be overlooking something here.

8. TheJackAttack

I think a Mac person may have to step in at this point. We have several that hang around but some of them are in Europe so won't see any of this until they wake up. I'm guessing it is some setting in Core Audio.

9. vttom

vttom Active Member

Are you booting up the machine with the Onyx plugged in, or are you hot-plugging after bootup? I suggest you try it both ways and see if that makes a difference.

10. Arnstein

Arnstein Active Member

I've tried both. Usually I boot with it plugged in, but as I've had problems with the machine being very slow while Onyx is plugged in lately, I have also booted without the Onyx being plugged in!

11. vttom

vttom Active Member

Have you updated the Firmware as TheJackAttack suggests? The description of the bugfix sounds like it could be related to both of your problems. Even if the mixer is brand new from the store it could have back-level firmware.

12. TheJackAttack

Did you try a new firewire cable yet?

13. Arnstein

Arnstein Active Member

No, I can't afford that :/

14. TheJackAttack

Well, the firmware upgrade is free once you register the Onyx unit with Mackie. Do this no matter what.

Since the unit is new according to you, the firewire cable should be good but I have seen stranger things than a bad new cable shipped with a device.

15. Arnstein

Arnstein Active Member

I've upgraded the firmware :)
    Maybe the firewire cable is bad, but it still should show me the option to send tracks to the mixer.

16. TheJackAttack

It wouldn't if the all the strands of the firewire are not connected. A firewire 400 cable is generally 6 pins connected to 6 stranded wires. Two of those pins are generally reserved for power but not necessarily. Four of those pins carry data traffic. It is possible for there to be enough pins connected at 100% and only one or two pins connected at 70-80% creating periodic connectivity and limiting your track count.

Of course it could still be a setting in Logic but I would also think the controls would be more obvious.

17. hueseph

hueseph Well-Known Member

Have you fully updated your OS? There were problems with OS 10.5 that caused the cpu to spike when any audio application is launched. Up to 70% even with the octo core Mac Pros. That means even Quick Time or iTunes. You need to use the core audio driver for the Onyx i. In Logic, you may have to enable the inputs before you can see them in the channel options.

18. djmukilteo

djmukilteo Well-Known Member

The mixer provides 12 channels input and 2 channels output on the FW
    The inputs channels appear in the input channel map per the manual. they are pre or post EQ switchable
    The two output channels appear in the output channel map per the manual.
    If you aren't seeing those in Logic you will need to assign them...

19. TheJackAttack

The new Onyx series like the OP has should also have returns for each channel. The older ones like I have will only show 12 in and 2 out.

20. djmukilteo

djmukilteo Well-Known Member

You said "send tracks to the mixer"....you can only send two tracks back to the mixer from your DAW.....
    you can record 12 in but only two out...so you will need to bus your multiple tracks in your DAW to the two output tracks and they should appear on your mixer....