1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

How to: connect M-Audio AV40 monitors to Behringer Xenyx 1622USB Mixer

Discussion in 'Monitoring / Headphones' started by jgiannis, May 22, 2012.

  1. jgiannis

    jgiannis Active Member

    Simple question really. But I don't know the answer.

    I want to connect my monitors to my mixer, but I don't know which cables to use.

    I own the Behringer Xenyx 1622USB mixer (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0036ECH3U/?tag=recording.org-20). As you can see in the photos, there is a L and R "Control Room Out" jack on the back of the mixer. These should lead to my monitor speakers.

    My M-Audio AV40 Monitor Speakers have a L and R "TRS" input on the back of the left speaker (Amazon.com: M-Audio Studiophile AV40 Powered Monitor Speakers (Latest Version): Musical Instruments).

    I am confused because I would think that these should be "TS" inputs, not "TRS" inputs. Isn't the former used for a mono signal and the latter used for stereo? Would it make a difference?

    If I used TRS, I'm guessing that I'd technically be getting an overall mono mix from my monitors. That is, both speakers, left and right, would be playing a sum of the left and right channels, as opposed to each speaker playing the corresponding isolated channel. True or false?

  2. Boswell

    Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

    There are three different main uses for TRS jacks in professional audio: balanced mono (e.g. equipment interconnect), unbalanced stereo (e.g. headphone jacks) and bidirectional mono (e.g. insert leads). Your mixer and powered monitors both fall into the first category, so you need a pair of TRS-TRS jack leads to go from the outputs of your mixer to the inputs of your monitors.
  3. jgiannis

    jgiannis Active Member

    Thanks for the reply!!

    Now I'm looking for TRS-to-TRS cables. But I need help avoiding the issue of using instrument cables as speaker cables (and vice versa).

    Will the following options work for my needs (that is, output from my mixer into my AV40 speakers)?

    (1) Amazon.com: GLS Audio 6ft Patch Cable Cords - 1/4" TRS To 1/4" TRS Color Cables - 6' Balanced Snake Cord - 6 PACK: Electronics
    (2) Amazon.com: Hosa CSS105 1/4 TRS Interconnect Cable 5 Ft: Musical Instruments

    Thanks again!!
  4. Boswell

    Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

    Electrically, those are the correct type of leads. However, the ones you linked to are bottom-quality, and I think you would do well to go up the scale a bit. You don't need the $50 offerings for this application, but I would expect to pay at least $15-$20 apiece for a reasonable-quality 6ft TRS lead. The Mogami SS-06 leads look a good middle range, and you can get them for around $20 each.

Share This Page