1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

How to connect sound devices 722 to F3 camera?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by Goobus, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Goobus

Goobus Active Member

im still new to all this and want to learn more. I usually connect my Sound Devices 302 mixer into my Sound Devices 722 recorder for field recording during a university film shoot and then we slate it for manual syncing later on. But now I want to try connect my 722 to the camera as well so I will be recording sound into both the camera and 722. I have no idea how to connect the 722 into the Sony F3 camera we have at university. Can anyone suggest a way? We have XLR Loom cables as well so maybe that might help. But from what I can see, the 722 doesnt seem to have XLR outputs. I might be wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks!

2. dvdhawk

dvdhawk Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome,
    The picture of a 722 I'm looking at on the Sound Devices website clearly shows 2 x TA3 Line Level Outputs (or mini - XLR). To feed that recorder to the camera (for redundancy I assume), all you would need to do is build, or buy, a pair of cables TA3F - XLRM. Attenuation, if needed, is apparently achieved through the menus.

The consumer level (unbalanced -10dB) Tape Out on the 722 would also work for most cameras. But I don't think the F3 has anything that low-tech on it.

Best of luck.

3. Goobus

Goobus Active Member

Ah right!! Cheers, you've been a great help ^_^. I'll give it a go.