1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

How to copyright?

Discussion in 'Studio Lounge' started by manfan, Sep 12, 2007.

  1. manfan

    manfan Active Member

    Hi All,

    I have recorded five of my own guitar instrumental pieces using pro tracks on my laptop. As I intend to put my music on myspace.

    I was wondering if anyone could advise me as to what the best way to go about copyrighting my music is? Would copying my music to cd and mailing it to myself by recorded delivery suffice, are there any other routes?

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

  2. MadTiger3000

    MadTiger3000 Active Member

    The old Poor Man's Copyright of mailing it to yourself and not opening it is ineffectual.

    It does sort of "prove" in a very basic and generic way you came up with the material first, as the US Postal system took possession of it, and you "allegedly" never opened it after that postmarked date.

    The trouble is, there are several ways of opening an envelope (not just steam!), and several ways of duplicating postmarks, so that way can not hold up in court.

    You already have copyrights on your material. The copyright happens the instant you created it. What you are asking about is filing the copyrights to gain the right to sue in federal court to protect the copyrights you already have.


    This site has the information, and a place to download the form. To save money, copyright your songs on one CD as a collection. ManFan #1 or whatever.
  3. manfan

    manfan Active Member

    Thank you very much ffor the advise MadTiger300, a lot of stuff there I would never have thought of. The thing is I live in the UK and was wondering if the http://www.copyright.gov/ website is only relevant if you are a US resident?
  4. MadTiger3000

    MadTiger3000 Active Member

    It is. I understand that in your area of the world, they deal with this issue differently. Here, the government wants the fee before they will even listen to your argument.

    Here is your equivalent FAQ on copyright law for the UK:


Share This Page