1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

How to find published songs

Discussion in 'Studio Lounge' started by feenomenal, Sep 12, 2004.

1. feenomenal

feenomenal Guest

Hello,

I've been wondering how one goes about finding published songs. For example, so many artists out there record an album but didn't write any of the material. Where do those songs come from? Does the label find the songs and give them to the artist?

I'm a singer/guitarist who for about 10 years has tried to write my own songs while performing in live settings very regularly. But my own original output is disgustingly small, and I'm on the verge of just calling in the "big guns" of professional songwriters out there in the world. ;)

Another approach to this question is this: A friend of mine had a few songs published by ASCAP. How does one go about finding those songs he published? It seems to me that there must be a big database of this stuff out there, but I can't track it down.

Thanks.

2. pmolsonmus

pmolsonmus Well-Known Member

Hey fee,

here's the data base
    http://www.harryfox.com/index.jsp

Getting something copyrighted or published is no guarantee that anyone will hear it. It's also a much more difficult process than it used to be because record companies are not really interested in exploring new artists - they are interested in exploiting them for $

Phil

_____
    RO Vocal Booth Moderator

[/quote]