1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

How To Make Windows Run Better for Music Production

Discussion in 'Computers / Software' started by audiokid, Apr 4, 2009.

1. audiokid

audiokid Staff

How To Make Windows Run Better for Music Production
    http://www.prismsound.com/music_recording/support_subs/support_tech.php?tt=0023
    This topic is a sticky. Hopefully it will help us all get better running windows systems. Please share your tips.

NOTE:
    Nothing against Mac, I own Macs and love em. However, this is SPECIFICALLY FOR WINDOWS.
    Any Mac gunk in here, posted to side rail this topic, etc will be removed.

(y)

2. Link555

Link555 Well-Known Member

http://www.audioforums.com/resources/windows-xp-optimization.html

http://www.musicxp.net/hardware_tips.php

http://www.musicxp.net/hardware_tips.php

3. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

4. Guitarfreak

Guitarfreak Well-Known Member

There is one thing that PC's do better than macs. Gaming. And that has nothing to do with audio. PC's also have customization, that's why they are cheaper, but I'd rather do business with one company than with a parts manufacturer (like nVidia), an operating system (Windows) and a middleman (like Dell).

5. soapfloats

soapfloats Well-Known Member

I'll put in the obvious, which is probably included in the links Link posted. Ha.

1. No internet
    2. No antivirus
    3. Disable onboard soundcard (except for Codemonkey!)

Unfortunately for me, Link's stuff is all about XP. I use Vista (grrr), and have done enough to make a nice system w/ 3GB RAM not choke up once I start running multiple MBCs. I'm starting to think about going the way of UAD.

I turned off Windows Defender, and just basically eliminated anything I could that wasn't necessary. Unfortunately I have to get online occasionally to update my Presonus Firestudio drivers.

Finally, Guitarfreak makes a great point - the multiple clients/points of access that PCs require. I'm struggling getting an nVidia graphics card to run two monitors. :sigh:

6. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Well-Known Member

Sheesh. This is the world of audio!

You plug Shure mics into Mackie mixers with E-MU audio interfaces and software made by Steinberg, then out via E-MU's interface and into speakers made by KRK inside a room filled with stuff from Auralex, and you're moaning about having to deal with more than one company with your PC build?

7. Link555

Sorry yes it was all about xp, I haven't tried Vista yet.....

oh and about macs vs PC. I run both.... to me there is no real difference. The hardware is the same. The gui is different but thats only minor stuff, like Mac has no backspace key....

Mac might be harder to ##%$#up but at the same its harder to get into the system tweaks.

I really don't think one is better than another.

Sorry now back on topic:
    My golden rules:
    !) No DAW sees the net.
    2)Turn off all networking and com ports that are not used.
    3) Use DMA
    4)The storage drive is different than the Program drive.
    5) If you have dual processors or quad...etc, use them. Allocate the load of each processor.
    6)Back up all client projects after each session on different drive, or flash stick.
    7)Whatever bus brings the audio into the computer, be it the PCI bus or the serial port (firewire, USB) make sure the interrupt priorities deal with it first.

8. taxman

taxman Active Member

I have a Dell laptop running XP and a Dell desktop dual core running Vista.
    After much frustration, I bought a Mac Mini to run ProTools. Am still frustrated.

9. Link555

LOL- Yes I know that feeling well. My old pC the firewire port was problematic...long story short...

we need to think about the history involved here. What we demand our tiny computer to do today would have taken 1000 warehouse bays in the 60's. There is so much power there and so much complexity, that its obvious we can not hope to really understand it all.

When things go wrong just remember in the 50-60's a room full of engineers and techs would have been there to fix it. SO the bottom line is it is ok to ask those questions.....

10. JackHenry

JackHenry Active Member

:shock: :shock: :-? :shock:

11. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

Since the subject is specifically about Windows it is pretty asinine to continually spew the pc vs mac crap.

Those that like pc's-fine. Those that like mac's-fine. Get over it.

Not everyone likes or need the same thing and this is starting to sound like a two chord power(less) ballad.

I've successfully used mac's to produce quality recordings and I've successfully used pc's to produce quality recordings. A computer is a tool even if the person pushing the buttons has to have a label.

12. jg49

jg49 Well-Known Member

I think it's pretty funny how a person starts a windows thread and four or five of the ten posts gotta to be the Mac vs PC bull.

I know Windows worked a lot better in my DAW after I followed (quite awhile ago) the ideas in Link555's link (that looks strange typed out.)

http://www.audioforums.com/resources/windows-xp-optimization.html

But the idea of load allocation in dual and quad processors is new to me. How is this done? Could you provide some tips or another link?

Also I am not certain that my firewire (serial port) has the priorty. Where do I check or tweak that?

13. Guitarfreak

Guitarfreak Well-Known Member

A processor performs a specific task. One handles midi instruments, one handles playback of a track, one handles the track plugins. If you have a lot of plugs on a specific track it would help to use FX sends to take a little weight off that particular processor.

I'm just paraphrasing a page I read recently, which I'm currently trying to find. Just thought I'd put my 2c in.

14. jg49

jg49 Well-Known Member

I did understand the concept, just not the practicalities.

15. blaumph2cool

blaumph2cool Active Member

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep06/articles/pcmusician_0906.htm

16. Space

Space Well-Known Member

Dude. read a book! That isn't a paraphrase, it's a fabrication.

17. audiokid

audiokid Staff

well said. I should have included this in my open post.

NOTE:
    Nothing against Mac, I own Macs and love em. However, this is SPECIFICALLY FOR WINDOWS.
    Any Mac gunk in here, posted to side rail this topic, etc will be removed.

(y)

18. Link555

JC49 to asign a cpu to a task.

1) CTRL-ALT-Delete to bring up the task manager.
    2) Right click on the runing task you want to asign.
    3) Select Set Affinity
    4) Select the CPU you want to handle the task.

19. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Well-Known Member

Correct although pressing Ctrl+Shift+Escape achieves the same effect - but works on PCs configured to load with the classic logon (where C+A+D leads you to a menu instead) e.g. network machines/Vista.

Edit: sorry, brain fart. I listed the wrong key combo, it's now fixed above.

20. Link555

thank you