1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

How to protect Equiptment from Static Electricity

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by tomislav, Dec 26, 2004.

1. tomislav

tomislav Active Member

How do I do this?

I shocked the f' out of myself about a half hour ago while putting on some vinyls. I don't want to blow my new mixer that I just got up.

Help!

2. JoeH

JoeH Well-Known Member

Add a humidifier or do some maintenance on your heater.

If you have forced air heat, you should have a humidifier that adds moisture this time of year. If it's never been serviced, now is a good time to start. If you don't have one, $80-100 at Home Depot is a small price to pay for a kit.

If you don't have forced air (Like baseboard heaters, or radiant heat through pipes in your floor, etc.) you'll need to add a stand-alone humidifier that moves moist air around for you.

Small price to pay in a truly shocking world.

3. johnwy

johnwy Well-Known Member

Its either what JoeH just said or do what my former employer used to do is buy static guard by the case load. I would lean more towards Joe's suggestion since static guard has an unpleasant odor to it.

4. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Well-Known Member

An ESD ground strap is sure way to dissapate the charge but is pain to keep on your wrist. The other thing that is effective is a grounding mat that you stand on. The mat would of course need to be grounded to be effective. Then there is ground straps for your shoes or anti-static floor polish. All can be found at an industrial electronics supply store.

5. LittleDogAudio

LittleDogAudio Active Member

Try spraying some aerosol fabric softener on the carpet, not too much.
    Heard about this trick long ago and it certainly reduces the number of static discharges.

Hope this helps,

Chris