1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

How to split a signal at a frequency...

Discussion in 'Recording' started by litenmupp, Oct 14, 2001.

1. litenmupp

litenmupp Guest

Hello,
    I've been reading some tips here on splitting for example the bass or guitar at a specific frequency and panning/processing the two signals different.

Im using Digital performer, can anyone tell me which plugin lets me do this in there?
    Thanks
    /Peter

2. tubedude

tubedude Active Member

Ummm, a crossover, maybe?
    Maybe you're thinking multiband compression. I dunno.

3. arneholm

arneholm Guest

Well, Digital Performer is a DAW? I guess you could just make a duplicate of the track, apply a hipass filter on one track and lowpass filter on the duplicate and go from there.

The thing is, a band perhaps most known for this technique - King's X, does so already 'before' going to recording medium, they split the bass signal before going to amps. If I remember correctly, they use some kind of a guitar amp to amplify the high part of the bass sound, also distort it quite a bit and then use a bass amp for the bottom. They split the sound with a crossover.

You can hear this sound presented the best on their Dogman album and at times it pulls your socks right off, it is 'that' good.

4. litenmupp

litenmupp Guest

Yeah its a daw program... I guess most of you guys are using real consoles huh..

Thanks for the tips, it should get me started...
    :)