1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

How to stop the delay when recording with USB MIDI

Discussion in 'Recording' started by AnJ'rue, May 14, 2012.

1. AnJ'rue

AnJ'rue Active Member

Hi,

I use a KeyRig44 MIDI keyboard from M-audio and when I play my keys there is a delay from when I strike the key to when i hear the note on the playback. However, when I record using the MIDI keyboard, there is no delay in the actual recording; only in the playback. This becomes annoying because I basically have to record while muting the MIDI and cannot hear my playback until I stop the recording to listen to what I have recorded. Is there anyway to fix this problem so I can hear what I am playing as I am recording? Also, is there a USB hub you recommend buying for music recording because I use multiple recording equipment that require USB such as my MIDI, pad controller, microphone, mouse, etc. Thanks a lot!

2. brassknuckles

brassknuckles Active Member

you could try changing your latency settings. there is a extremely good video tutorial on this subject by macprovideo.com. One in particular that is free to preview is at:
    N.E.D.web 1.7
    It explains how to diagnose your in out device's actual latency. Of course that is just the start.

3. gdoubleyou

gdoubleyou Well-Known Member

You didn't give us a lot of details about your system, but I would look at your monitoring options within you audio software, and the control software for your audio interface.

4. audiokid

audiokid Staff

USB midi sucks IMO but I know others are happy with it so go figure. It definitely improves if you use an external power supply instead of relying on the USB power. I use a MIDI router and couldn't work without one.

I have an older MTP AV 8 x 8 MIDI Timepiece router but I have been looking at this:
    SSL

Usually the latency is worse during recording. Playback is what it is. I also use a PCIe interface which is the only way to go.

An awesome monitor control system is top priority for me. Hope my 2 cents helps.