how to use compression on drums

Discussion in 'Tracking / Mixing / Editing' started by robrocker86, Aug 23, 2008.

1. robrocker86

robrocker86 Guest

curious about some tips for using compression on drums

2. GeckoMusic

GeckoMusic Guest

1. bus drums and apply New York (parallel) compression
    2. snare: to get that pop sound short attack, low threshold, heavy ratio, long release.

There has to be a good tutorial on this somewhere.

3. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Guest

I'll frequently compress bass drum & snare drum. When I do that, I'll generally also add gating or fast downward expansion to tighten things up. If I have a good room with good ambience, I'll frequently highly compress room mics/overheads. Frequently I will it gate all the toms as well. So this gives you a very zippy & tight sounding drum kit. You have to realize, all the drum microphones are off unless the drum is being played. I particularly like to do this with hardware devices as opposed to software. There are some better downward expander gating programs but I haven't been terribly impressed with what I've heard. So I still do the analog thing any old way I can.

Beyond the gate
    Ms. Remy Ann David

4. shockone

shockone Guest

can you elaborate on what downward expansion is please remy?

5. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Guest

" Downward-Expansion " is the same as gating. The difference being is that you can set the amount of downward-expansion. So I will generally downwardly expand by the same amount as the gain reductions in the compressors.

Gating, can sound simply horrendous since Gates are an on-again, off-again, proposition. Whereas, downward expansion, can be told to stop at -6, -10, -20, etc.. So, not designed to actually eliminate background audio issues, a moderately fast device can provide a tighter drum sound/mix.

Setting threshold can be the most challenging as is a fine line between the gate opening & closing.

Punching in. And punching out.
    Ms. Remy Ann David

6. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Well-Known Member

I have a plugin, acts as a noise gate but has a range control, from infinite, then -24 to 0dB. Also has expand controls etc.
    Autogate/Expander

7. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Guest

Hey Codemonkey! Those plug-ins look interesting. Can't tell if they are just trial demos, until I load them?? I don't read Mandarin Chinese. I'm particularly looking forward to the downward expander as I've not found anything that works as particularly well as my 30+ year old KEPEX 1's. I actually don't play on the Internet much and so don't generally search for this type of thing. I already waste too much time here which I don't really consider a waste when helping others.

Thanks!
    Ms. Remy Ann David

8. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Well-Known Member

Yeah I just remembered that after I saw the page :lol:
    They're all (I think all) freeware, and I've just picked up a few new ones such as the side-chain compressor.

I found them while searching KVRaudio's pretty good KarmaFX reverb (haven't found a more featured one although the sound is a bit mmm sometimes) and the compressor from Reaper's plugin pack.
    Not exactly rivals to high-end gear but 60MB or $6000?