1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

how to use mic preamp when you have a sound card?

Discussion in 'Preamps & Processing' started by icreal, Jul 16, 2008.

1. icreal

icreal Guest

i have a problem whith how to use a mic preamp when you have an audio enterface.

any help?
  2. Greener

Greener Guest

Umm, I think you're confused. Recording is the art of playing a recorder:
    You need:
  3. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Guest

Sep 26, 2005
    General rule of thumb:

Audio interfaces should be set to line input.

If given the choice, select + 4, otherwise, it may be designed for -10? Most outboard microphone preamps are designed to deliver an average level of + 4 DB output with headroom to +18 to 28. Way to hi for a -10 sensitive input. if that is the case? You may need to purchase an outboard/in-line pad, from companies like Shure?

Your microphone preamp should have some type of metering built into it? Of course, you will adjust level for proper signal on its own internal meter. If the outboard microphone preamp has an output level control, you'll adjust that after you have tweaked your microphone level for proper indication on the preamp. It's only after that step that you will adjust the input level on your audio interface.

That's the way it should be done.
    Ms. Remy Ann David
  4. icreal

icreal Guest

thank you, i appreciate your help now things are clear. but now i need to now how things are connected. if the mic goes to the preamp and the preamp to the sound card and the sound card to the computer.
  5. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Distinguished Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Scotland, UK
    What sound card is it?
  6. Space

Space Distinguished Member

Jun 26, 2007
    This is one of those questions with the "potential" that is being discussed over @: {old-link-removed}