1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Humidity and caring for condenser microphones

Discussion in 'Recording' started by quesne, Apr 25, 2009.

1. quesne

quesne Active Member

I have two MXL condensers mics that I've been using quite a bit recently. I have been leaving them out and set up for my convenience.

As we are getting into the summer (Philadelphia, PA), I was curious whether the added humidity they will be exposed to would be detrimental to the mics (we have no AC in the house).

Are the diaphragms and other electronic elements in a condenser mic very sensitive to humidity? Should I be storing them in the case on a regular basis, or is it OK to leave them out?

Thanks for any input

2. jg49

jg49 Well-Known Member

It is recommended that you store condensers in their case when not in use for dust and humidity protection.

3. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

I'm in a dry climate now but my habit began living in San Diego. I store microphones and other electonics in their cases with the little dessicant packs that come in cartons. For my big cases I still have a few bags of military version which are about the size of a large baseball rosin bag.

4. SmashKAB

SmashKAB Active Member

This is good to know... I leave mine out sometimes too. But if that's going to cause some damage... *Runs down stairs to put mics away*!!!

5. moonunit7

moonunit7 Guest

this is how i do it...

Moonunit7: mic protection from humidity

saw these "Glad - Snap Lock" bags the other day when i went to the shops and thought it would work great for protecting my microphones from the humidity here in Auckland. i also threw in a silicone bag for some extra dryness :) i guess if you're going to record vocals every other day it's going to be a royal pain to bag and un-bag all the time, but it's perfect for my needs.

6. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

The recommendation I have had for storage when leaving the mics set up is , in fact, the plastic bag and a rubber band to seal out the dust.

7. hueseph

hueseph Well-Known Member

Save those silica gel packs from various items. Sometimes you find them in food packs or furniture packs. They're good for drawing out condensation after the fact as well. Gotta love spitty vocalists.

8. DrGonz

DrGonz Active Member

Is that Zappa's Son posting here? lol

9. jg49

jg49 Well-Known Member

It was his daughter that he named moon unit, his son is Dweezil which is soooo obviously a male offsprings name

10. DrGonz

DrGonz Active Member

yup that's right my bad. With naming schemes like those I should have realized my error right away, it's just sooooo obvious lol.