1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Humming bass pickup

Discussion in 'Bass' started by ouzo77, Feb 7, 2006.

1. ouzo77

ouzo77 Active Member

hello

i have a harley-benton hbb500tbk electric bass. it's a cheap one, but it's active and ok for me. the problem is that the one pickup makes a humming noise (like some ground problem), which makes it kinda unusable. i can use the other one, which doesn't make any noise (at least no unwanted) but i like the sound of the other one better (except for the humming of course).

does anybody know what i can do to get rid of the noise?

the other thing is, that the output of both pickups is really high. way higher than any other bass i've heard. i have to pull the gain way down, when i plug it into a bass amp so it won't clip.
    that's not a big problem. it's just annoying when i have to use someone else's amp ("don't touch my dials!!!")

maybe somebody's had the same problem and found a way to fix it.

2. moonbaby

moonbaby Mmmmmm Well-Known Member

An active pick-up system will, in general, be a much higher output than a passive one. Chances are you have a broken ground wire connection between the noisey pick-up and the internal preamp circuit. This may be in the form of the plain metal wire running from the pick-up to the bridge/tailpiece (through a small tunnel in the body), or since it's an active circuit, it may be the shielded wire from the pick-up to the little preamp circuit board.
    Bottom line is that you will have to open up your instrument and do some detective work on your own. Good luck!

3. ouzo77

ouzo77 Active Member

that's what i thought, too. but i'm not good in electrics so i will have somebody take a look.

with the volume issue, i don't think it's because of the active pu's, cause most bass players i know have active basses, too. but like i said before, that's not a big problem. guess i'll just have to live with it.

thanks anyway!