Hybrid recording

Discussion in 'Mixing & Editing' started by Mike Simmons, May 3, 2002.

1. Mike Simmons

Mike Simmons Active Member

Home Page:
    A lot of people seem to love the analog vs. digital battle but I wonder how many people record with a hybrid set-up like I have. Since I started with a 1/2" 8 track room in 1989 and then went digital in 1993 I decided to keep as much of the old gear in service when appropriate. For example, I like to track drums and guitars to tape. Lately I've been printing mixes to 1/4" at 30 ips and 15ips SR too. Maybe it's just the sound of tape cueing up but it just feels more like recording to me. That said, I will never give up my Mix plus rig!!!

2. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

But will you upgrade to HD??

I haven't yet and will leave it to the last minute to decide.

3. Mike Simmons

Mike Simmons Active Member

Home Page:
    Kev,
    I guess I should have said that I'll never go back to cutting tape or something like that. What I meant is that I like working in the digital domain. I also love certain things about analog and see no reason to dump a bunch of very servicable gear for pennies on the dollar just 'cause it's not fashionable. I still remember an old boss prctically giving away a bunch of MacIntosh amps, LA2-A's and such because tube gear was a hassle.

I won't be doing the HD upgrade right away. I just bought the mix plus a year ago so I'm still paying it off. I'm always a year or 2 behind the curve. I tend to upgrade at the last possible moment! In a couple years I'll upgrade, and who knows what kind of systems will be available.

When did you upgrade last? Do your clients know/care about HD? Are you impressed with the improvements over mix+? I haven't heard HD demo'd yet.

4. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

Yep , I agree with all that!

But if your all boss is still giving away LA2a's.. I'll have one.

5. audiowkstation

audiowkstation Active Member

My mastering is hybrid. I use analog console in one of the stages but editing is digital.

Use all tools to reach the goal. Some damn good recordings were made way before digital was thought about. Some of the best IMO.

6. audiowkstation

audiowkstation Active Member

My mastering is hybrid. I use analog console in one of the stages but editing is digital.

Use all tools to reach the goal. Some damn good recordings were made way before digital was thought about. Some of the best IMO.

7. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff Resource Member

Home Page:
    Mike, 9 years passed now. Are you still hybrid or have you converted like the majority?

8. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Is this spam? What do the links have to do with recording anything? Take it down or I will.

i WARNED YA