Hybrid summing > DA pre AD ?

Discussion in 'Tracking / Mixing / Editing' started by audiokid, Aug 10, 2014.

1. audiokid

audiokid Staff

A new summing experiment.

Can I:

DA > pre-amp (Millennia M-2b yummy) AD mixdown to my capture DAW. (Prism Atlas line in).
    Can I cook anything trying this?

2. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

No, you won't cook anything, but you will need to consider adding attenuators at a couple of points along the chain. The maximum input of the M-2b is +20dBu, and it has a minimum gain of 14dB, so a +20dBu peak would come out at +34dBu.

If your D-A box can drive more than +20dBu, then you should add a stereo attenuator to bring the level down to +20dBu. If you were to use a box like the SM Pro Audio NanoPatch+, you could control how much drive level you used into the M-2b, and this may give you an extra sonic lever in terms of colouration in the device.

Similarly, the line inputs on the Prism Atlas are only +18dBuFS, so you would need something like 20dB attenuators between the M-2b and the Atlas input when driving the M-2b fully.

3. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Thanks Bos, I'm pretty clueless on this. I can turn my DA to -14 and I believe even reduce that further in actual level via a fader. Would that work? But this, link removed
    is a pretty inexpensive solution. That is all I would need? Would the Nano patch be mastering transparent? (Close enough for Jazz ) ;)

4. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

I use both the Nanopatch and its bigger brother the MPatch-2 for level reduction since they are purely passive and hence totally transparent. As long as you keep the attenuation to less than about 30dB the channel matching is adequate.

5. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Thanks Bos.