1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

I am I crazy....?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Link555, May 6, 2008.

?

AM I CRAZY?

1. YES

100.0%
  2. Its intuitively Obvious

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. NO

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Link555

Link555 Well-Known Member

I am I crazy, does my new PC actually make Nuendo sound better?

I went from a PC with a single 2.2Ghz Pent 400FSB chip and 1 Gig of ram to a quad core (3.0Ghz, 1333FSB) and 4 gigs of ram.

I swear mixes sound clearer and its eaiser to get things sounding right.

Is it is possible the PC is making this difference?

2. danbronson

danbronson Guest

My gut feeling is that it's a placebo effect. Possibly because the computer works faster, you're less concerned and can devote more mental energy to just listening?

I could be wrong though. Perhaps the slower computer was compromising sound quality somehow. I'm not sure how that could happen though.

3. Link555

thats my gut feeling too, and yet....

I was wondering if the new pc was able update data to the DAC more efficently and somehow I was hearing changes quicker?

regardless mixing is becoming even more of pleasure these days.

4. pr0gr4m

pr0gr4m Well-Known Member

Upgrading your computer specs (cpu/memory) should not have had any effect what-so-ever on the sound quality.

5. MadMax

MadMax Well-Known Member

Are you crazy??? Hmmmm... well, uhhhhh.... errrr.... uhhhhh yeah.

But that's beside the point...

Oh... you also asked another question... :D

In theory, no. Upgrading the hardware should make no difference... but the reality is that it might.

My experience says that it probably does, but the level of improvement is likely going to be measured in tenths of hundredths of a percent.

6. Groff

Groff Active Member

+1

7. Link555

MadMax - LOL I was waiting for the truth, thanks!

And I do Agree it really should have no effect, and normally I would scoff at statements like mine, but here I am.... must be a bad karma thing ;)

8. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

anything that could get the audio clock more stable could make digital audio sound better

but
    a different PC making things sound better might only be suggesting that there was something wrong with the old set-up

My slow old Mac 9600's with Mix+ made some good sounding recordings
    but then that was mostly hardware based and did include an external audio clock

9. Link555

I think you may have hit the nail on the head there Kev, my old PC may have had some issues, especially with the slow FSB.