1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

I Bought Some New Monitors For Christmas

Discussion in 'Monitoring / Headphones' started by fetzir, Dec 10, 2003.

1. fetzir

fetzir Active Member

Where would you put your money when buying monitors that translate the best for the buck to the real world? These monitors currently represent my budget, and are on the final block for consideration...
    Event ASP-8's ($)
    DynAudio BM6a's ($$)
    Adam P11-A's ($$$)
    Mackie 824's ($)
    Genelec 1030's ($$$)

I'll be dropping some cash before Christmas to replace my studios weakest link; my less than stellar Alesis MK-II's, thoughts and experiences would be welcomed...I have my favorite two I'm leaning towards, but would like to hear others thoughts...

Edward Bolda
    Spyder Byte Studios

[ December 19, 2003, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: Spyder Byte Studios ]

2. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Dyn's...Adams...Genelecs....These represent clarity and accuracy.A LOT of people mix on Mackie HR824's.A LOT of used Mackie HR824's to be found out there in the marketplace.Anyone can learn a speaker in their room.It will be true for anything you put up.The trick is to shorten the learning curve.The three I mentioned will enable you to do this.And in most rooms.Good Luck.

3. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Well-Known Member

If your going to go with Genelec, get the 1031's and you should be able to live without having the need for a sub. The 1030's are great as a second pair to check againest a main pair, but are too small and underpowered for the real duty. I have the 1031's and just love them even though I still think they are a bit underpowered for the real loud check but are great at med-high to low levels where it's better to mix at. Sell some of that outboard that you have made from compaines that start with an "A" and you may find enough to make up for the upgrade difference.

4. sdevino

sdevino Active Member

My favorite are the Earthworks Sigma series. I like them better than anything I have heard from Genelec or Adams.

Personal choice mind you but they are VERY accurate and very easy to translate from.

Steve

5. bap

bap Member

A Studio where I do a bit of playing uses Earthworks Sigma 6.2 and they are absolutely dynamite. His Genelec 1031's are pretty much ornamental these days.
    His studio specializes in acoustic music - classical and jazz, small and large.

6. fetzir

fetzir Active Member

I decided upon, and have just purchased the Adam P11a's. Thanks for everybodies input!

7. I agree with this, to a point. However, with my Alesis monitors, there were problems in my mix that I could not detect, even though I had those speakers for two years. It was like trying to paint in the dark. My Event 20/20s made it ten times easier and less frustrating to mix, and it's not as if the 20/20s are high end speakers by any means. I'm sure that any of the speakers listed in the original post would be fine, and that you could get used to any of them. Any of those speakers will put the original poster's Alesis monitors to shame.

8. You mean Avalon? I don't think that's the best tradeoff. :)

9. AudioGaff

If you bothered to go the website and see the gear list, you would know exacly what I'm refereing to...

10. I was joking. Sorry if I was too subtle.

11. kierankelly

kierankelly Guest

I hate the event 20/20 's I think they are garbage. and have a real problem in the lows and low-mids. My KRK 6000 make me work harder for a mix but it translate much better.

12. Maybe so, but they are a hundred times better than the Alesis Monitor Ones. They may have some problems in the lows and low-mids (Then again, they may not. I haven't noticed any.), but at least they have some lows and low-mids. Also, $800 monitors were not in the budget for me. For my budget, I felt the 20/20s were my best option. The Yorkvilles seemed pretty good as well, but I had no way to audition them. I have no doubt that your KRKs beat my Events, but they're more than twice as expensive.

13. fetzir

fetzir Active Member

As it turns out, the outboard stuff I list is mostly from my "band" days (the 90's). It was cheap stuff that worked well for slammin' rock in tiny bars where the beer was always more important than the act. :)
    Now that I'm off the stage and in the control room, I've moved ontoplug-ins either in Pro-Tools or in my Mackie D8b, and can't say I've really ever used any of it for studio work.

Alas, I'm sure the value of my "A" equipment is not worth the effort to even try to sell it. I keep it around, just to remember where I came from...

14. AudioGaff

That is all well and fine, but you might want to consider how you are being percieved when people see your gear list. Having that stuff around is one thing, having it on your list makes it appear as gear that you proudly use, and this affects your professional image. I know if I was looking and comparing places, prices and gear, I wouldn't choose someplace that had this kind of outboard they listed as a serious contender.

15. fetzir

fetzir Active Member

Your point is well taken. Good thing I didn't post up the Panasonic monitors I got at Walmart, who knows the pummels I'd be undertaking... :)

Thanks for the observation, I do believe I will act upon it...do you by chance, have a website for your studio that I could check out to review what a good "perception" site looks like? I'm always looking for an "edge" on my competition...

16. AudioGaff

As of last summer, I sold off my share of the public studio I owned and worked at and have gone the solo freelance route as well as updating my home songwritting project studio. I have not yet finalized on how or what my future business image is going to look like or be.

If you would like to see my personal gear list look in this link at about the halfway point. Somewhere after that posting is my story for selling and going solo. You might want to share your story/history and some pictures to that thread as well.

17. fetzir

fetzir Active Member

...I updated my equipment list, lemme know if you find it now less offensive.
    Spyder Byte Studios Equipment Page

18. AudioGaff

I myself prefer to see the details of what specific equipment just like you had it, but just don't list the crap stuff like the ADA, ART, Digitech and so on. List only the things that are essential to recording and that are likely to attract clients, not distract and drive them away. As you have it now, it looks to me like your too embarrased to list the gear details. What people see is that there is some decent stuff, some crap stuff, and stuff no one can tell because the specifics are not mentioned. This is fine for an ad where space and the number of words cost money, but not on your own website.

If someone dosen't know exactly what you have then they have to go out of their way to either email or call to get the detailed info. Some, if not many of those, won't bother and just look somewhere else first. The way I see it is your website should include everything you'd want someone to know so that when they do contact you, your using that time talking about schedules for booking business and not burning up your time fishing for info.

19. Paladyne

Paladyne Guest

genelecs: anything mono sounds weird in them, expesially vocals.

mackie824: hey, they work for me, AND I can afford them.

20. Johnson Cabasa

Johnson Cabasa Active Member

i got adam p-11s they my stuff comes out excellent with them