1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

I have questions about publishing

Discussion in 'Studio Lounge' started by GeraldMorgan, Oct 29, 2006.

1. GeraldMorgan

GeraldMorgan Guest

1. Is ascap and BMI publshing companies

2. How can I own my own publishing

3. If question 1 is no what are some publishing companies
  2. pmolsonmus

pmolsonmus Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2003
    Ascap and BMI are not music publishing companies. They are companies that handle legal issues and licensing of copyrighted material (published music, recorded music etc...) for music publishers or individuals.

There are hundreds of music publishing companies but two of the largest are Hal Leonard and Warner Brothers. There are lots of wonderful small, target market type publishers and many medium sized music publishers as well as many composers who handle their own.

Unless you have a product that the "big boys" have an interest in or are likely to make money from, they're probably not too interested. What are you trying to get published? Please clarify so we can help. Are you really trying to get published or just copyrighting your material? Those are two different beasts.

By reading your second question. I think you may want to do a search on copyright. There are simple steps and fees involved to protect your creative works.

3. yz

yz Guest

Additionally, as a songwriter (either lyricist or composer), you would eventually join a performance rights organization (ASCAP, BMI, SESAC), and they collect your airplay/performance royalties.

As far as publishing, there are different methods of looking at songwriting/publishing splits; I personally like the 200% example: The income from a song is a 200% pie. 100 is writer share and the other 100 is publishing share. You own your songwriting/publishing, but if a deal comes along, the other party may want a piece of your publishing. At that point, you should consult with an entertainment attorney to advise you and help you negotiate a fair deal.

I don't know for sure, but I think you can get a good deal of information from the BMI, ASCAP, and SESAC websites.