1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

I just feel like I should have a tube condenser mic

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by sshack, May 29, 2008.

1. sshack

sshack Active Member

But I can't say that I 'need' it; I just want one. I only record vocals (my own) acoustic and electric guitars. Right now I go between a 4033 a Bluebird and a 58.

I'd like to keep it around $500 - $700 +/- so I've looked (new and used) a bit at things like the K2, KSM44, 4060, T3, etc.

Totally open for some suggestions.

2. TheGreatAmericanSlum

TheGreatAmericanSlum Active Member

I've read really really awesome reviews on the Studio Projects T3 and am kinda looking to get one myself. I know I can't spring for anything over the same price range you're looking at as well.

Does anybody have direct experience w/ a T3? How do they respond to/with API modules?

3. TheGreatAmericanSlum

TheGreatAmericanSlum Active Member

Oh, almost forgot. I do already have a Shure KSM44 and it is AWESOME! I've heard it can be super transparent as well w/ better preamps, which I'm lookin to get.

Really great mic, especially in that range. Still interested in the T3 though...

4. Weasel9992

Weasel9992 Guest

The KSM44 isn't a tube condenser...great mic though.

Here's a few to look at in (or close to) your price range: Rode K2, M-Audio Sputnik and Groove Tubes' GT67 and MD1B. Studio Projects' T3 is certainly worth a look as well. If you're willing to spent about $1,000 I can personally vouch for Mojave Audio's MA-200...wow.

Frank

5. sshack

sshack Active Member

You're right about the KSM, my bad. I've looked at so much stuff, it all just runs together after a while.
    The Mojave was/is certainly a consideration, of course for a little more I could get a Peluso 2247 or the Tele AK47, or for a little more I could get the U87........

...yes, that's the problem.

:(

6. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Well-Known Member

AT4060 is a winner and is surely worthy enough to be in anybody's mic collection.

7. jonyoung

jonyoung Well-Known Member

Avant CV 12 is worth a look, $500. I rolled a vintage GE 5 Star tube into mine, loving it.

8. danbronson

danbronson Guest

The title of the thread made me laugh. But hey, I'd love a nice tube mic as well. It just means spending a little more to get the same level of quality as a solid state mic.

9. IIRs

IIRs Well-Known Member

SE Electronics Z5600A

Mine sounds great.

10. sshack

sshack Active Member

Good additional suggestions that I've not even heard or considered. Thank you.

11. Crankitup

Crankitup Guest

I second the SE electronics mic. Can be a little bright for some sources, but I've been loving it on MY voice as well as others (sweeter for tenors / female vocals) and it serves nicely as a room mic for drums. It also comes with a very sturdy shock mount!

12. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Well-Known Member

I love my vintage U67's & KM 56 tube condenser microphones. But really, I rarely use them. Why? They do have that classic mellow tube sound. But that's not what I am generally looking for. Strangely enough, I have a friend who had a new U87ai converted into a dual triode tube 87 microphone. Doesn't sound anything like my U67's! And although it still sounds good, he prefers my U67 to his tube U87. There is just a huge difference in considering a microphone that uses a pentode instead of a dual triode. Those actually have the tendency to be a little noisier than a dual triode. But hey, it was intended to replace the U47.

So what's this thing you have up your butt about tube microphones?
    Ms. Remy Ann David

13. sshack

sshack Active Member

Man, I wish it was as easy as something up my butt.

Really, I don't know. I'm fully convinced that a 57 and a 58 is about all you need. Thrill of the chase? I like warm, harmonically warm vocals...love The Beatles through and though, Pink Floyd...all the stuff that just reaches out and hugs you.

Maybe a tube mic won't get me closer to that any better than my other/current mics, but I figure that I'll certainly never know unless I try.

Plus, I just like to buy stuff.

14. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Well-Known Member

"Plus, I just like to buy stuff."

Go buy a burger or something then

15. sshack

sshack Active Member

Well, that's not very nice. I like gear, what's wrong with that?

16. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Well-Known Member

Well, a burger would be cheaper, and for the entire duration of your ownership of it, it would do you a service, and not gather dust :D

17. sshack

sshack Active Member

Maybe a free range tube mic would be the ticket.

:cool:

18. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

I think you are on the right track. If you can afford to experiment with gear and the thrill of something new hanging off the big mic stand gets things rolling for you, then you should BY ALL MEANS buy it.

Dont be surprised if one of these mid-priced tube mics doesnt immediately lift your skirt. There isnt a lot of difference at this price range that'll make you really wanna get giddy.

A bit higher up is another story.

I agree 100 and 20 percent with Gaffs take on the AT4060. Thats a real good mic. The Ze5600 looks like a winner but I dont know how it sounds. The Avant is built like a tank (I have caressed one but havent heard it) as are all their mics......

I gotta throw this one out there for consideration...... I have some time on one.....

ADK Area 51 TT. Used, close to the budget you listed. This mic is voiced like those old German thingys.......Tele-something-or-others.......

It is warm and sensitive.....It'll take a crapload of Db's....it has continuosly variable patterns....An NOS tube in it gets you even more warmth.....buy SEVERAL tubes for several different varieties of mic response.

I love this one.

I will have one someday next to my vintage 87, which isnt a tube but still has that....errr.....yeah....that 'thing'...

19. sshack

sshack Active Member

Thanks everyone, I'm gonna chew on this for a while.

20. Crankitup

Crankitup Guest

I've heard the Mojave MA-200 and it sounded killer. It's a little out of your price range, but I think it's a large step up from most of the other mics listed here (excluding the ADK, I've never heard it)