1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

I just orderd my first condensor mic!!!!!

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Joshtruction, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Joshtruction

Joshtruction Guest

OK, I am rather excited even though it is only a 50 dollar mic. I can not wait to get it in. I currently am using (well sorta using aka in the box but mine) an M audio Delta 44, and a yamaha 12 channel mixer with phantom power. Do you think the signal is going to be too soft using just the mixer with no pre amp? I do want a pre amp and I guess that is the next thing on the list. What is a super quality really really nice vocal pre amp for 300 or less?

For those of you that care, I orderd an MXL 990 and a nady pop filter. 70 bucks to my door and brand new, plus they both have great reviews. I will let you guys know my first impressions compared to my SM58 :)

2. McCheese

McCheese Well-Known Member

the yamaha has pre's in it.

3. Calgary

Calgary Active Member

Nice. Happiness is a new mic... :cool:

4. Joshtruction

Joshtruction Guest

all mixers have pre's in them? I thaught all the one I had did was take 12 channels and turn them into 2 outputs, and ad phantom power. I didn't get the silly one with the built in effects.

5. Calgary

Calgary Active Member

It's the little knob at the top of the channel strips which allows you to raise the level of the input source. Look at your channel 1 strip for example, check for a knob which says either, "gain", "trim" or "input". That should be it.

:cool:

6. IIRs

IIRs Well-Known Member

Most mixers include mic pre's, unless they are specifically "line mixers". If you have phantom powered XLR inputs however, you definitely have mic pre-amps! ;)

7. Joshtruction

Joshtruction Guest

questions is, are they going to sound good or like poo.

I was thinking of getting something along the lines of an art tps II

8. Calgary

Calgary Active Member

That ART unit will sound better than the pres in most value line boards. :cool:

9. And if you know electronics well enough, you can always mod those pres. :twisted:

10. jonnyc

jonnyc Member

If he doesn't know his mixer has mic pre's built in I somehow doubt he's the least bit electronically inclined. But you never know.

And calgary, I'd have to differ with you on the ART thing. Yeah it'll beat out behringers pre's but any other board, its probably a wash and waste of money.

11. Calgary

Calgary Active Member

Out of the box an ART TPS II is definitely better sounding than the pres in value line boards. The difference is fairly obvious given a quick listen IMO.

12. Brock

Brock Guest

I don"t know what all the fuss is over Behringer equipment is about. I just this pass week bought an Behringer T-1953 vintage series tube ultragain pre-amp and last night I bought a Rode NT-1-A and the NT-5s and just finished recording an acoustic track and a vocal track tonight and my wifes jaw dropped when she heard the results. Sure, I guess I could spend thousands on better pre-amps but this is a hobby. If I were charging people to come in and record and I was making thousands of dollars maybe then but for now, my Behringer does just fine thank you.

Brock.

13. Joshtruction

Joshtruction Guest

Well the mic and the Nady pop filter came in today. I still have not got to use them yet though :( I still need a mic stand, good quality XLR cable, and to install my delta 44 and the drivers. Soon I should have a few hip hop artist comming in to do vocals as a project to help me learn, and shortly after I should have some of my acoustic tracks recorded. I will keep you guys posted.