1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

I need help getting started

Discussion in 'Recording' started by twiin, Dec 16, 2001.

1. twiin

twiin Guest

Hey, I want to start creating, recording and burning tracks @ home on my pc. Does anyone have any advice on a good system or setup (computer, hardware, software etc.) to begin with under $1000 :confused: Thanks.

2. Bear's Gone Fission

Bear's Gone Fission Active Member

That's a tall order. Let's start with two questions: what do you already have (any serviceable computer of your own, for starters?) and what do you want to do with the stuff. Since it's hard to do a very complete and capable setup very cheap, tell us what you need to do, what would be nice extras, and what you'd never anticipate needing.

Bear

3. twiin

twiin Guest

I have an HP pavilion w/ a 766mhz Celeron, 512 megs of ram(pc100)and a 20gig hard drive. I had planned on building a new system or having one built strictly for production. I just really want to create music, experiment with live and virtual instruments, and be able to do all of the recording and tweaking etc. primarily on my pc. I also want to be able to burn the final cuts onto a cd and mabey even post them on the internet. I really don't have any experience with pc based music production so I couldn't even begin tell you what kind of equipment I would or wouldn't need.

4. Ang1970

Ang1970 Well-Known Member

Oh goody... another cross post! :)

5. Bear's Gone Fission

Bear's Gone Fission Active Member

Do you intend to use real world instruments? What sort, and how do you intend to record them?We need to know this to figure out what your in/out needs are on a soundcard.

For software, you'd probably like Cubase, since it is pretty straightforward, sounds fine, and is a breeze to do compositional sort of tasks, with goodies like vst instrument support. There's an army of free or inexpensive plugs for effects and instruments, so you'll be able to tweak without breaking your budget. The other option that comes to mind if you're from more of the DJ school would by Sonic Foundry Acid. It's a pretty advanced loop based composition tool, with royalty free sample cd's available, or provide your own material. The 3.0 version comes bundled with an 8 track version of their Vegas multitrack software and a light version of Sound Forge for two track editing.

For now, I'd go ahead and stick with your current computer system if it's practical, because a new one of even modest capability would shoot your budget to hell. It'll be fine as long as you aren't pushing the track counts or using very processor intensive plugs.

Bear

6. twiin

twiin Guest

I would mainly need a connection for a guitar, mic and synthesizer. Is cakewalk any good? (home studio 2002)