1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

I need some serious help.

Discussion in 'Recording' started by ialmostshotthem, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Hey there everybody! I am new to recording and I was wondering if you guys could help me.

I just got into serious recording. Before I would play with it here and there, but now Im trying to get at least one great sounding recording. I had a pretty low budget, but I play guitar, bass, drums, keyboard, and sing, and decided to start doing my own thing. So I got all my instruments and such in my room, and set up a DAW. Heres what I bought:

Mics:
    2 Shure SM57s (of course)
    CAD GXL2200
    CAD GXL1200

Interface:
    Tascam US-122L

running everything thru mixcraft 4 (since I hated cubase)

First off, I want to know can I make great quality recordings? Ive been going for days trying to figure out good mic placement, which mics to use and such, and with endless hours of mixing, and still cant get that sound. I feel Im on the verge of making one. Theres just something I can't quite put my finger on...

I need any tips I can get! If you guys want me to post recordings, I can do that, maybe you can help me out with what I need.

Thanka!

2. song4gabriel

song4gabriel Active Member

post audio clips.

3. IIRs

IIRs Well-Known Member

Read this thread: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=29283

4. Read that already, and it helped heaps, but not enough to apply to my specific stuff. It seems that he speaks pretty generally on everything, so its tough when he gives advice that isnt really an answer, but rather a statement showing the multiple possibilities of certain effects. Thanx tho!

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=bd5f720f98252988b94117dade8fc295e04e75f6e8ebb871

Theres a very quick and sloppy cover song.

I have trouble with recording good distortion tones, and good drums. Im gunna try the recorderman setup for drums tomorrow...

as for recording guitar with heavy distortion, I have no idea what Im doing. I throw caution to the wind and hope I get a good tone. Ive never gotten something great, but sometimes decent.

5. jg49

jg49 Well-Known Member

If you are easily offended I would skip this and it is sorta controversial
    http://www.badmuckingfastard.com/sound/slipperman.html#contents
    A previous thread
    {old-link-removed}
    If you click on "last issue" in this article from Premier Guitar mag you will bring up the first seven tips
    Melodyne

Guitarists as a rule are highly resistive to this idea but...the sound you are looking for in the studio is not your "live" sound. The biggest problem is turn down the volume, turn down the gain, don't use excessive tonal shaping before the recording stage, do not use reverb, delay, chorus (add it in post production.) If you believe in one of the major concepts of the thread that IIRs linked you to loudness equals percieved improvement in the fidelity of sound so when you are playing a guitar amp at high volumes you percieve the sound to be good. The mic "hears" and records your real tone and we can rarely play it back at that volume so tweak your amp/guitar/pedals to create a good recording sound.
    What is your guitar rig?

6. IIRs

IIRs Well-Known Member

Ok, imagine you read this post on a guitar playing forum:

Answer: "practise lots, then play a couple of hundred gigs, do some recording, go on tour for six months, practise some more".

;-)

7. Guitarfreak

Guitarfreak Well-Known Member

I second that article from slipperman, very helpful. I found it humorous as well.

8. Im pretty open minded(myabe because Im a drummer first and guitarist second) Ive only started that article but its really good!

My gear depends on what im looking for. I always use my Legacy 212 guitar cab. sometimes Ill use my BV120HB Blue Voodoo head with it, but more commonly I use my line 6 spider II head. I like the sound better. It sounds better on the recordings.

I use a strat. Nicely set up tho.

9. jg49

jg49 Well-Known Member

Do you only use the guitar and amp?
    No pedals?
    Obviously when using the L6 you are modeling, correct?

10. Yeah, and I do have pedals. But lord, do I hate them. Plenty have come and gone, but I love the sound both my blue voodoo and line 6 give me. They both give me Amazing distortion, without too much hair.

This article is getting confusing. Being a total n00b some of the technical stuff hes talking bout is going right over my head.

11. jg49

jg49 Well-Known Member

Just plow through, it seeps in slowly take what you can leave the rest. Have you tried taking a direct from the amp and micing it then blending.

12. Hmmm... No I havent... Maybe Ill try that.

EDIT: that was some epic fail sound for me ^ Ill try again

13. jg49

jg49 Well-Known Member

ialmost.. "that was some epic fail sound for me ^ Ill try again" Not exactly certain what you meant but if you are using the Line6 you need to come from the direct out jack on the rear panel into the interface and then set your gain. One of the reasons to do this is it removes mic placement as an issue in what your sound is. You will definitely get a better overall sound with a good mic placed well but this can be blended in to create a "denser" mix. You might want to play with the modeling while having a friend play the same riff or chords over and over again. One of the great difficulties in trying to dial in a sound is that you really can't do it and play at the same time. Take some notes about the changes and then A/B the results by cutting and pasting to different tracks. This should help you get headed in the right direction for a great recorded "sound".

14. Yeah I get what you mean with placement.

But I cant DI thru the back, cause my gain on the interface is all the way down, and it registers the signal as OLing and it clips.

So I have to go thru the DO/Phones jack, but that negates the speaker, meaning in order for me to do this method, I have to play it twice, rather than play once with 2 tracks. So I guess Ill try that tomorrow.

15. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

The phones jack is not a direct out. The phones jack is an amplified signal which would explain your clipping.

16. jg49

jg49 Well-Known Member

Actually Jack the Line6 manual says headphone/direct out. They suggest recording from this output which is on the face not the rear. The Crate Voodoo amp you can use either the preamp out or the effects send to go to the Tascam according to their manual.

17. Yeah,, maybe Ill try that

18. TheJackAttack

I have no doubt that the Line6 manual called the headphone jack a "direct out," I'm just dubious as to it's quality since there is a volume knob right there. It's going to take some experimentation to figure out what would be a good level on the volume knob. I'd guess very minimal otherwise he'll overload the input on the next piece of gear in the chain-especially if he is crunching it with modeling.

I could be wrong here and will bow to jg49's experience with this gear.

19. On the jack it says Phones/Direct Out

I had plugeed into the back which is the speaker out, which was the jack that gave me clipping. The DO jack was fine (well as far as DI is concerned.)

20. TheJackAttack

Great. I'm glad it worked out.