1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

I need some suggestions

Discussion in 'Recording' started by nickbadal, Oct 11, 2009.

1. nickbadal

nickbadal Guest

I'm going to be getting some gear from a friend, and I was wondering what else I should get to make a cheap but decent rig for home recording.

I'm getting:
    • Studio Projects B1
      Shure SM57
      AKG Kick (Not sure what model)
      Mackie 1604 vlz

I know that it's far from a complete set and I was wondering what you guys would recommend that I get? (In terms of types of mics, not specific ones)

2. MadTiger3000

MadTiger3000 Active Member

Budget?

What types of sound sources are you going to record?

3. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

Those are pretty useful pieces. Your big decision is an interface (which will take the output from the mixer preamps, convert the analog signals to digital, and send it to the computer), a computer (a new one for audio or perhaps some upgrades for the one you have), and recording software. Do you have any preferences on these?

4. nickbadal

nickbadal Guest

Budget wise, I don't haver that much to work with, but I'm not going for extreme quality (If I had the money I would).

I'm focusing right now on recording drums since I already have a set-up for recording guitar/bass/vocals (more on that below)

I already own a Lexicon Omega interface, that I probably should have mentioned, that I'm basically using as a DI for a guitar amp and vocal mics. I have a pretty good computer (built for gaming, but works for audio). I also have Reason 4 LE that came with the Omega, and know it pretty well.

5. nickbadal

nickbadal Guest

Also, heres the spec for my PC incase you were wondering:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
    4096MB of RAM
    2x nVidia 9800GT's (not relevant to this)
    640GB WDC HD
    PLDS DVD+-RW DH-16A6S SCSI CdRom Device
    Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium Home Edition 6.00.6001 Service Pack 1

6. nickbadal

nickbadal Guest

Nobody can help me out here?

7. bent

bent No Bad Vibes! Well-Known Member

Looks like you got some info, what more do you want? Not everyone on here is gonna get back to you right away, let it simmer a while. Nobody sits on this site hitting F5 like I have the past few days...

Be a little more specific, like "I need an 8 input ADC, what do you suggest?" or "How should I set up my mics on the kit?", that sort of thing.

As far as types of mics... Eh... Here:

Directional Dynamic mics on everything except overheads and hi-hat, for OH and HH get some Condensers.

8. bent

How many I/O are on on the Omega? I forget, is it two or four?

9. bent

BTW, 1604, good little mixer.

And (and), that computer you have should be able to do more tracks, and more plugins per track, than you could possibly ever need it to do.

10. nickbadal

nickbadal Guest

The Omega has 4x 1/4" and 2x XLR

I guess I just wanted to know which mics I should use for each drum, and afterwards what mics I would need to get.

I got the stuff today, and the AKG is a D880.

So my full list of mics and gear COULD use for this is now:
    Studio Projects B1
    Shure SM57
    AKG D880
    Mackie 1604 vlz pro
    Furman RP-8D
    Behringer T1953
    QSC RMX 1450
    AKG D5

how much of this is useful, and what additional gear do i need to record?