1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

If I copyright my songs / cd, then change the mix...

Discussion in 'Studio Lounge' started by EricIndecisive, Dec 18, 2008.

1. EricIndecisive

EricIndecisive Active Member

Will it still be under the same copyright? I do everything on my own so there would be no worries with other people. But I would like to copyright my music / cd, and what happens if I need to change something after that?[/i]

2. GeckoMusic

GeckoMusic Guest

If a song first document when it is recorded two copyrights are formed simultaneously. That of the recording itself, and that of the song. If you are the sole creator of the work, then you own the exclusive copyright.

The creative work copyright covers is the song. (section 102a.2 "musical works, including any accompanying words" ) What that means is that it is not the 1's and 0's that make up the data on the CD, but the song itself. Re-mix to your hearts content.

There is also a copyright of the audio recording. That copyright is held by the person that makes the recording. That person has duplication rights of the material.

If the person doing the recording, and the person playing are different, then royalties need to be discussed.

As of 1989 you don't need to file with the copyright office to obtain exclusive rights. But it does make it much easier to prove that it is yours if that ever becomes an issue.

3. EricIndecisive

great! thanks for the info. this makes me even more excited to finish the songs for my cd.

4. EricIndecisive

Hmm... after looking at the stickies here I did not see where to or how much roughly copyrighting this CD would be. I would probably like to copyright 10-12 songs, the artwork for the album, etc.

OOPS! Looks like everything I need is right on that copyright.gov site. Thanks!

And Gecko - I see that you are in Lowell - I am right in Longmeadow, haha.

5. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Guest

Just know that if somebody wants to steal your music, a small variation is all that's necessary to rip you off. So a copyright is really false security. Plus, you'll still have to retain plenty of lawyers to sue someone. Just think about mathematical averages. There can only be so many combinations of Notes up to a certain point. So while you think you're being original & getting a copyright, chances are, your melodic theme has already been copyrighted at some point or another. It's like telephone numbers. After a while the combinations will repeat. Intellectual-property? I'm not much of an intellectual. Are you?

I've heard that same old song many times
    Ms. Remy Ann David