audio If I Didn't Care

Discussion in 'Master This MIX!' started by freightgod, Apr 6, 2015.

1. freightgod

freightgod Active Member

God bless us, everyone! o_O I might give take a crack at this one myself, but I am not a ME and definitely do not play one on TV. I think this tune will pose a challenge to some of you. Definitely not pop...not sure what it is. Have fun!

I did have this one professionally mastered back in February, but I won't offer up a link to it until all interest has died away. But I think the comparisons will be interesting (original ME will not mind, he rightly has confidence in his abilities). (y)

This is a great idea for a sub-forum, I'm thrilled to be able to offer up the first guinea pig for experimentation.

Have at it, gents! :eek:

Attached Files:

Kurt Foster and audiokid like this.
  2. pcrecord

pcrecord Don't you want the best recording like I do ? Well-Known Member

Here is my shot at it ! If it was for a real production I would have address the noise we hear on and off but here it is. (specially at 1:28)
    Used ITB only, Ozone 6, Fabfilter Pro L and Valhalla vintage reverb to add a tinny bit of ambiance.
    Of course, If I had the whole CD to master, the decisions could have been different depending on the other songs.
    I tried to compress and limit it at minimum to keep it alive.

Tell me what you think !

Attached Files:

freightgod, audiokid and Kurt Foster like this.
  3. freightgod

freightgod Active Member

pcrecord - I like it, I like it! I might have left the 'reverb' off the spoken count-in, though.

4. pcrecord

This is why a discussion with the artist is in order to make a plan before starting a mastering. You might have want to cut the counting, make the song sound like it was recorded in a specific space (pub or live venu etc...) or have a fade out. Communication is a must ! ;)

I have chosen to put less then an hour on it and as I said I could have gone forensic on it. But I think the essence of what I do is there, I like to keep things natural and just enhance what the artist has already put in the song while trying to make it more alive.

I'm glad you like it.

5. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

PC has done a good thing ... the reverb addresses a couple of issues i had with the recording which were the un natural cut off of some of the midi instruments.

i love the song. i love the arrangement. i do wish it was performed with real strings and horns .... but i love the Tuba / Bone parts .... just excellent. both of youse!

6. pcrecord

If I could have done anything better please tell me.. I'm still Learning ! ;)

7. freightgod

freightgod Active Member

I dunno, man, pretty awesome for a first crack.

pcrecord likes this.
  8. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I've been playing with this as well., what a fun and well produced track.

From a technical POV (Track Talk), I'm noticing a few inconsistencies on the vocals/harmonies relationship, plus... , tone and volume/sss which make it hard to pin it down to how to increase the overall clarity in some spots, while avoiding more sss that"will" increase as its worked on (after that fact). I could spend a day shaping this better, or get it done in a master of minutes if those tweaks would have been caught/ addressed in the mix.

This is a tricky master if we want to do it the way one would hope. Musically, its brilliant!

If I was Mastering this for you, as pcrecord said as well... I would ask for the stems or ever better, suggest you do some tweaks before the mastering. There are some area's that would have been ideal to fix in the mix, which I also think separates a good Master (Mastering Engineer) from one that misses a few tips or suggestiones before "we master this"
    Its a win win when you get it close to right before it reached mastering.

In this case, a few key tweaks would be easy to do, to make this amazing! I'm working on it as well. Hopefully I can do better than pcrecord, yours sounds great Marco!

That being said, this is what makes it all the more fun!

9. freightgod

freightgod Active Member

I'm glad you like the music, now I wish I had spent more time in the mix...

My ME did have me re-record the acoustic guitar track, the original was waaaay noisy with hum. Other than that I just mixed it to taste.

Of course for the purposes of this exercise, I'll have to pretend I don't have access to the original tracks...or do I? (n)

10. audiokid

audiokid Staff

(ADDED NOTES:)

Here's mine. I used Sequoia 13. I suppose I could make it brighter (but at this point (hypothetically) I'd rather get you (the client) to fix the upper issues in the mix, so I could increase the (overall) clarity without adding more ss)., and that would be a personal request that I would ask my client at this point, if you wanted that.

I like it a bit warmer which encourages us to use our volume knob ;)

But, here is an interesting approach. I'm referencing this off a TV (the built in ones :) and headphones/ laptop/> 100% ITB. I'm making excuse's for some insecurities of this being a completely insane blind way to master or mix. I think this adds some interesting discussion into this.
    Oh.. to match Marco's volume, I used a Fabfilter ProL and chopped 3.8db off the top.
    Tell me what you think !

More Compression

Less Compression

Attached Files:

freightgod likes this.
  11. freightgod

freightgod Active Member

Guess I'm going to have to try out my MAGIC A/B plugin for the first time...

audiokid, there's a click at 1:31, thinking some effect is kicking in...compressor pump following the moment of silence?

12. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Oh, i thought that was in your punch in. I'll see now... , I'll upload it again if its on my end.

13. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Got it, it was a cut line that I didn't fix correctly. Toss the other out. I've uploaded it again.

14. pcrecord

Can't wait to get to the studio and listen to your master, Chris. I'm sure you can do better than me, I'm not pretending one minute to be a ME... Althought, give me a day and I also can do better than me ! ;) I wanted to spend a very short time on it, like someone was on a budget... I also have my music to work on, you know !!

audiokid likes this.
  15. Kurt Foster

personally i like both versions. i guess i wouldn't make a very good ME ... i lean to much to the let's just get on with it approach .... yeah, that sounds pretty good. next! a good mix is a good mix. if i can hear everything and the balances are good ... well i'm happy.

a dozen recordists will have 3 dozen different takes. it can drive a bloke to drink! when i listen to music, what i hear more are performance issues.
    so with this i do hear one thing (sorry). the first chorus, the harmony vocal is a little late. in the second chorus it's perfect. maybe a little edit or go back to the original multi and slide the track to match? other than this .. i just love everything all of you are doing.

pcrecord likes this.
  16. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I'm not an ME either. Never want to be or claim to be. Which is going to become more relevant as this new forum evolves. I love it!!!

I like to think of myself as a hybrid musician who mixes into a master. It removes 2 steps and imho, produces a mix that sounds better.
    Isn't that the truth!

pcrecord likes this.
  17. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Indeed!

18. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Thanks.
    But, there are significant difference between them. And, those difference could NEVER, be accomplished via hardware. Whats interesting to me on this... rather than me all excited about my actual mix (both sound great or good enough), I'm more ecstatic how I am able to do this listening through headphones and a Large Screen TV as the monitors. LOL! The age of the DAW is screaming wow to me.
    What a great song too. It really is about the music.

19. Kurt Foster

yes there are significant differences. but to me, they are apples and oranges ... and if i were to master it it might be bananas or strawberries! the same song from 2 different mixers will always be different. it's not like there's a correct answer to the puzzle. there are many roads that lead to the destination. in the end they both sound good too meee!
    it makes sense to me to mix on a system that is going to typify what the recording will be played back on. most music thes days is delivered through TV, EwwToobe or iPods .... in a few years no one will even know what a "speaker" is .... except in cars. isn't that special ?

pcrecord likes this.
  20. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I bet, these mixes would sound pretty decent on full range systems though. I don't think that's all if this. I actually think small speakers are a smarter size to mix on. And, to play audio a the magic level to where it is optimal. I mix pretty low compared to where I was a few years ago. I think full range can be distracting. That is, until you are "aware" of what not to be focused on. Its a perception thing too. Well, a lot of little things that make the bigger picture. Which is why they do fuss on some things we don't think about..