1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

If you had a chance with fancy gear to record drum and g

Discussion in 'Drums' started by A1A2, Jul 22, 2003.

1. A1A2

A1A2 Guest

Hello, all

I am lucky enough to have access to a studio with some nice gear, but the thing is I have never used any of them, and I won't get too much time to play around or experiement there. So, I was hoping if some of you guys could give me some pointers on what to do with the following gear and instruments, so I can make the best use of my free studio time (without any enginners there...)

Avalon VT737
    DBX 586

(i am sure I'm missing some pres here, so, let's just assume we have enough pres to track the drum with max of 8 mics)

AKG Solid Tube
    AKG C-414B-TLII
    AKG C-418
    AKG C-4000B
    AKG D-112
    Earth Works TC-30K x2
    Audio-Technica AT825
    Audio-Technica AT835ST
    CAD E-300
    Shure BETA 87
    Shure 55SH
    57 (dunno how many)
    Superlux PRO-238C
    Superlux PRO-268AH
    Superlux PRO-248S
    Superlux PRA-218B
    Superlux PRA-228A

The tracking room is super dead (they use it primarily for voiceover) and size wise, it can barely fit a drum kit and a drummer in there.

The song I'm writing is somewhat similiar to "Us and Them" from Dark Side of the Moon, with clean slide and semi distorted guitars, female vocals, bass, and a upright piano.
    It's a Tama drum kit and a 100w Marshall amp.

I hope this question is precise enough.

Big thanks in advance

2. niconic

niconic Active Member

Jun 14, 2003
    Home Page:
    what about the actual recording gear, computer,digital recorder, is there a console analog? digital?
  3. niconic

niconic Active Member

Jun 14, 2003
    Home Page:
    Anyway, the best thing I can advise you is to hire
    a sound engineer or at least get some friend who's into it and has a minimum experience, to come and direct the session. this way you would less waste your time.
    recording is a tough job and takes years to learn and a few recipies you can grab there and there wont do any good. Plus most of the gear you mentionned
    is rather expensive and it wouldnt be cool having to pay back a 1000$ mic because you blew it cause of a bad use...so get someone to do it and spend your precious time on your music!
  4. A1A2

A1A2 Guest

ADATs, Pro Tools HD, and whatnot.
    YAMAHA O2R Digital Mixer Console
    The program/DAW is something I've never heard of, SADie.

what gear do you need to know? Effects processor wise, they have lots of TC electronics, Manely,etc.

Apogee PSX-100
    MOTU 2408
    Lynix One

My friend who works there knows how to work the system, so all I need to do is messing with dif tracking options. I know a real enginner would really help, but since it's free, I figure why not have fun with the gear I will never be able to afford:)

5. David French

David French Distinguished Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Hey, A1A2, just wanted to say hi to my Indiana brother!

Nice to know i'm not the only one representing the corn. :D

6. Jbuntz

Jbuntz Guest

From memory I'm going to stab at what I remember about that song. I'm guessing the guitar was strat trough an AC30. Snare drum is loose, probably bottom & top mics. Pinstripe heads on the top of the toms, no bottom heads. Kick probably one head as well. You won't have a choice but to have a dry drum sound like the one that's on the song. Probably a P-Bass through an I dont know what.