1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

I'm a drum fanatic

Discussion in 'Drums' started by bobbo, Mar 22, 2005.

1. bobbo

bobbo Active Member

Dec 11, 2004
    I am getting an api 3124. I will be running my kick and snare through it and don't know if I should run my OH's or my 2 toms through it to take up the other 2 channels. This is my first nice preamp so I don't what would get better use out of the 3124. Plus are there any recomendations on a nice compressor for the kick drum, I was looking at the 6176 pre/comp and it seems nice and classic, but have also heard good things on the distressor with the british mode. I have great drum mics so now I need to get some good preamps and compressors to compliment them.
  2. PCM

PCM Guest

being as I usually only use 4 channels total on drums, I would say definitely overheads rather than toms through the good pres.
  3. DaveRunyan

DaveRunyan Active Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Overhead for sure in my opinion as well. Good OH sound is what I have found to be the most important part of getting a nice drum sound. It seems the kick and snare can be messed with if necessary to get a good sound but if the OH sounds are lacking forget it.