1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

I'm looking for K67/K87A capsule for U87 Microphone??

Discussion in 'Microphones' started by technoempire, Jul 8, 2005.

1. technoempire

technoempire Guest

I have an early 80's Neumann u87 and need a new capsule, anyone have any references where to find one?

Thanks! technoempire@gmail.com

2. blaumph2cool

blaumph2cool Active Member

I've seen several capsules going on ebay.
    you'll want to get something in writing from the seller in case you get a bad capsule.

most likely if the seller won't gurrenty it in writing, its a dud.

-Blaumph

3. Dosser

Dosser Active Member

You could check with Bill Bradley. He does mic repair on a lot of high-end mics. I've had him replace a capsule on a U67 before, and he did a wonderful job. You can find him online at:

http://www.micshop.com

4. John Stafford

John Stafford Well-Known Member

If you are a little apprehensive about buying a capsule on ebay, getting the capsule from Neumann and having them fit it is not that expensive when you consider that a Neumann capsule goes for around $500 on ebay. I remember seeing a receipt for work done by Neumann USA. The capsule was $700, but the labour charge was only $70.

It's very easy to change the capsule on a U87. I took the capsule out of mine to see if I could turn it around, as the rear diaphragm looked like it was in better condition. Still, $70 is reasonable so you can be certain it gets done well.

John Stafford