1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

I'm New, don't know much...

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Drew, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Drew

Drew Guest

So i'm looking to purchase an mbox minijust do do some small stuff with for my own enjoyment and noticed that it has 2 channels but only one xlr.

I really wanted to hook up 2 mics to it to roughly record band practices and live church sessions so that I can listen after and learn from it.

So basically m question is, How much quality will I lose by hooking up a mic into the the 1/4 input using a xlr to 1/4 adapter? Or a xlr to 1/4 chord?

Second question is, if I do do that would it have phantom power?

Thanks for the help.

I know that there are other interfaces out there, but I would really like to use an mbox to get used to protools. I've tried getting my hand on a old mbox1 but my search isn't turning out as well as I hoped and think it easier just to get an box mini since there are many floating around.
  2. Drew

Drew Guest

3. xjake88x

xjake88x Guest

You can get an Mbox-2 which has two XLR's.. Phantom power should work for an XLR to 1/4" (which has cold/hot/gnd just like a regular xlr)
  4. Boswell

Boswell Distinguished Moderator Resource Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Home Page:
    The 1/4" jacks do not carry phantom power, so you can only use one phantom-powered mic with an Mbox mini. You might get away with using a dynamic mic on the jack inputs for close miking of vocals or amps.
  5. casper

casper Guest

For what you want to do I would look at the Zoom H2 or H4. The mic is built in to he hand held recorder. It uses flash cards to save the performance. I believe the H2 is on sale at Sam Ash right now. If you plan to also do demos for the band the band I would stick with the Mbox2 or whatever you decide. Presonus Firepod is a real good deal.

Check out this link: