1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

audio I'm new here... Have a listen

Discussion in 'Fix This MIX!' started by Eddy90, Feb 14, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Eddy90

Eddy90 Active Member

Here is a little something I jus sat down and did in a evening. Nothing I put a lot into. I am jus wondering if my mixing is sounding okay or if you all have any advice for future reference.

Attached Files:

2. DogsoverLava

DogsoverLava Active Member

So we should what? listen? I'd be happier listening to something you put work into as opposed to something you are telling me you gave little to no effort in.

Quick answer - noise rock - something that would be on a Sonic Youth album. As for mix -- this is a garage tape so it's never about the mix. Come back when you got something you are proud of and want real advice.

3. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

Well, it certainly does sound exactly like what you described.

No, the mixing is not okay, and no, the performances aren't good either. There are so many things that are wrong about this, I don't even know where to begin, and that I won't even bother to go into detail; and I'm gonna give it just as much attention as the time you put into it.

Take DOL's advice, come back when you have something you're proud of, and we'll be glad to critique.

4. pcrecord

pcrecord Don't you want the best recording like I do ? Well-Known Member

Well... The drum sounds ok, but I bet it's a Vsti.
    The rest of the instruments don't sound natural. The melodic guitar sounds like going out of a guitar pedal directly to the audio interface without any cab or cab emulation.
    very irritating..
    The rest of the instruments are lost in mud.
    Sorry Eddy, if you want further help, explain every recording step to get advice on how to get them up a level.

Thanks for sharing tho.. takes some courage ;)

5. Eddy90

Eddy90 Active Member

The drums I made in ableton live inpulse because Idk how to play them myself and don't have a set to learn. I have a focusrite scarlett solo so I dont have all the inputs to mic each drum piece seperate for someone else to play them. The melodic guitar was distorted by an amp I plugged into my interface so idk why it sounds that way. The amp has different sound effects on it as its a guitar digital entertainment center. I never claimed to perform real well on any instrument. I just tried to get something together as a sort of practice run. Mainly to try and figure out how to mix well before I sit down and really try at something. I was jus wondering if my instruments was all crowding in together and maybe what to do about it. I use ableton live lite.

pcrecord likes this.
  6. pcrecord

Recording an amp direct with distortion always sounds weird because a big part of the sound we know and like come from the movement of the speaker.
    You would have a greater result if using a mic in front of the cab. The most common and affordable mic that every studio has (even the pro ones) is the Shure SM57.
    It's a proffessionnal mic Under 100$ that you could keep and use for life. This might not be the best mic for all instruments and situation, but one that people rarely regret they bought.

Other than that, this direct recording could be threated with an amp simulation software. Many exists, Amplitube (I think they have a free version) Guitar rig etc..
    You could add this amp sim in your effect bin and simulate the speaker, mic and room...

7. Eddy90

Eddy90 Active Member

Awesome. Thank you. :) I didn't know that plugging an amp directly in made it sound dumb. I will keep that in mind. I want a mic, the only thing thats bad is the only place I have to record is in my room and there is usually a tv goin in the next room so I'm not sure if it'd pick that up. The walls are pretty thin. That's why I was trying to do it direct.

8. pcrecord

That's why amp simulators exist.. hardware or software, they will help you get the job done. Once you're alone at home, that would be the time to put up a mic and learn to actually record something ! ;)

9. Eddy90

Eddy90 Active Member

I'll have to look into getting a mic after I pay for my bass I jus got.

pcrecord likes this.
  10. DonnyThompson

Unfortunately, if there is sound that you can hear going on in another room, then a mic is also going to pick that up; although the type of mic you use will determine how much of that other noise it will pick up.

For the least amount of external noise pickup, my recommendation for you is either a Shure SM57 or SM 58; they are both very, very similar.
    Both are dynamic mics, very directional, and would provide you with the greatest amount of rejection from noise/sound interference away from the source you are miking. That's not to say you still won't pick up some of that external stuff going on, but dynamic mics will offer you the greatest amount of rejection of those interfering external sounds.

They are also very affordable ( as mics go), and either would be a great mic that can be used for a multitude of uses - vocals, snare, toms, amps ( both guitar and bass), horns, even on a kick drum - Both have become studio standards as far as dynamic mics go, because they both sound so good on so many sources. You can pick up a new 57 for around $89, a 58 for around $100; both are built like a tank, and will last you a lifetime. I'm using an SM57 that I bought new in 1978; and I'm still using it for both gigs and recording.

I won't bother to tell you my lawn mower story involving my 57... if you want you can look it up here on RO... but take my word for it... either one would be a great mic to have.

FWIW

d.

11. Mike Caliri

Mike Caliri Active Member

LOL LOL LOL What a mistake he made.LOL LOL

12. pcrecord

I've been discussing with Eddy in private. He seems to have a real interest in learning how to record and mix as a hobby.
    Since he's just starting off, I suggested to post one instrument at the time so we get the chance to direct him to a better track by track sound.

Sean G likes this.
  13. DonnyThompson

Okay... one last time.... because I've told this story several times here already...

I bought a 57 in 1978, brand new. Used it for years and years. Back in the mid 90's, I'd come home from a gig late one night, it was cold and snowing like crazy, and, like many musicians of my generation, I used a milk crate to store cables and mics.
    The mic fell out of the crate without me knowing it at the time, and was buried beneath a foot of snow, most of which didn't melt until spring. I looked for the mic at my next gig, couldn't find it, and figured I'd left it at a gig somewhere, knowing it was gone.

I used a spare 58 I had for the rest of that season.

One spring day, after my grass had grown quite a bit, I decided it was time for a mow. You can see where this is going, right?? Right?

I ran over the 57 with the mower. I heard a gigantic CLUNK, and thought maybe I'd run over a rock or something. I looked under the mower, and there she was... the 57 that I'd dropped in the snow almost three months previous.
    It was scratched up, the blades had dented it a bit here and there. I went into the house, thinking,"no way, this will never work.." I plugged it in, and not only did it work, it sounded just as good as it always did.

So, the 14 year old 57 spent the better part of a winter under snow and melting ice, (lots of water), was then hit by a lawn mower ... and still worked just fine.

And that's my story of the lawnmower and the 57... and the last time I'm gonna tell it. ;)

14. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

At least give the poor guy some credit for having the courage to post to this forum, after all it is a problem based learning forum and the OP has asked for help and advice.

After all, we were all starting out once and have all been in the same boat, thats' how you get to where you are.

Sure, something maybe a little more structured and with a little more thought and effort would have been better to post, but lets not take the mickey out of the poor bloke.

I'd like to see the OP post something that he really put a lot of effort into, in regards to composition, recording and mixing wise, then we can give him some advice to help him improve, while not being critical of his efforts.

After all, thats what we are all here for. :)

- Just my 0.02 cents

pcrecord likes this.
  15. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

I don't think I could ever tire of hearing that story Donny, it makes me chuckle just to think about it.

I hope its not the last time we hear it.

I still think its the best advertisement for an SM-57 Iv'e ever heard.

16. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

Good on you Marco (y)

17. Mike Caliri

Mike Caliri Active Member

You don't get sympathy here,you get the truth.

18. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

Its not about sympathy, its about being fair to the guy.

No-one gave you a hard time when you came onto the forum, Mike. People were happy to help you with advice, at least offer him the same courtesy.

Give the guy a break...it is a problem based learning forum.

DonnyThompson likes this.
  19. DonnyThompson

Perhaps I was a bit tough on him - I guess the thing that set me off, was that he admitted that he hadn't put any thought or time into it, so I gave it the same attention. People will generally only take you as seriously as you take yourself, especially here on RO where we have passionate, dedicated engineers who have committed their lives to all things audio...

So it's not exactly the best place to post something that you have self admittedly claimed as "just thrown together" or that you "spent little time on"...

But, Sean is right, I digress, RO is a Problem Based Learning forum. I'd like to hear what the OP can do when he puts his mind and dedication to something that he hasn't just "thrown together".

FWIW

20. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

I agree, with a little bit of advice to steer him down the right path the OP may just be able to improve the process and post something good.

I'd like to see that. Thats' why we are all here, to share and further our knowledge.

pcrecord likes this.