1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

I'm new to this group..Balanced to Unbalanced

Discussion in 'Recording' started by rayman, Aug 27, 2002.

1. rayman

rayman Guest

Hi guys..and Gals if there's any in here.
    My name is Raymond, I'm new to the RO group, (not new to recording)I was checking out a thread that was a little old but I did somthing like this when I first got my system a few years ago. I have a DAW (MOTU 24i) and use two Alesis Studio 24's for preamping, if anyone knows this mixer they know that the I/O's are unbalanced and if you know the MOTU 24i you also know that it's balanced.
    The first thing I did once I found out this was use a unbalanced cable from the mixer's aux send to the MOTU coverter (they're both servo-balanced). There was very little signal to work with and it did'nt sound all that good :roll: about tieing low and ground together for this two conducter to three conducter interface.
    I picked up some balanced cables and stuck some unbalanced RCA's on one end. Wow!! What a diffrence!! The signal was soooo much better! Who would know that a 15 min. fix would change so much sound?

good luck
    Raymond Ward
    A.S. Recording Arts
  2. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff Resource Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Prince George, BC
    Home Page:
    Hi Raymond, welcome to recording.org. Thank you for this most helpful tip.

Cheers! :w:
  3. rayman

rayman Guest

Thanks Big....it's great to be apart of the group. I'm looking forward to reading and posting here. :)

Raymond Ward
    A.S. Recording Arts