1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

im so hood effect

Discussion in 'Recording' started by dwalker2020, Apr 12, 2009.

1. dwalker2020

dwalker2020 Guest

I am redoing the song "im so hood" by dj khaled, and I am having a really hard time getting the sound right on the "im so hood" part of the chorus. It is sung by Dj khaled himself, and I cant figure out what effects he used on it. Any suggestions? thanks for your time!

here is a link to the youtube of the song
  2. Guitarfreak

Guitarfreak Distinguished Member

Feb 21, 2009
    It's called AutoTune.
  3. ahavill

ahavill Guest

This effect is used in a lot of songs these days, if you are producing hip-hop you'd better get it asap. I always refer to it as "the T-Pain effect" since that guy has pretty much used it to death. I think you can still get it for free (as a demo) from the Antares website.
    The effect was designed to subtly correct a singers pitch, but somewhere along the line people started using it at extreme settings to create the vocoder sound you are looking for (the first time I heard it was the Cher song "If You Believe in Life after Love.")
    You'll probably need to tell Autotune what notes you want it to "fix" the notes to, in a key that works for the rest of the song. If that makes you say, "Huh?" then just experiment until it sounds good.
    This link should get you started:
  4. ahavill

ahavill Guest

FYI I was just looking at http://www.antarestech.com, & they still have the free demo version. The deal is, the plug-in stops working after 10 days, so you could probably do your project with it for free.
    Also, they have a new version called AutoTune EFX. It looks like its a more simplified version, that helps you get that "T-Pain effect" without having to do as much programming.
  5. dwalker2020

dwalker2020 Guest

Thanks for the help guys!
    Song is sounding good :)
    This has helped alot