1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Improving buffer size and reducing audio Latency

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Unregistered, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hey Guys,
    I've been searching for a way to reduce my recording latency, and increase my buffer size in Reason 5.0.

I'm using a Lenovo G555 laptop
    OS is Windows 7, AMD, Athalon II, Dual Core M340, 2200 mHz
    Sound Card is Conexant CX20671 SmartAudio HD- running the original Driver that came with the machine

Any suggestions for optimizing my Audio? I'm still pretty green with this stuff...

Thanks folks! Hope you can help me!
    Womax

2. Mo Facta

Mo Facta Active Member

The two are interdependent. You can't lower your latency while increasing your buffer size. Unless, however, you use audio direct monitoring or create a low latency mix with your interface's software mixer.

Cheers

3. thatjeffguy

thatjeffguy Active Member

Mo is right, the larger buffer takes longer to fill and thus causes greater latency. Many people use a very low buffer while tracking, then switch to a higher buffer for mixing.

Jeff

4. bouldersound

bouldersound Real guitars are for old people. Well-Known Member

Mo Facta hinted at the best answer: get proper audio interface made for recording. It will have some provision (hardware monitoring) for bypassing the round trip to the CPU to minimize latency.

5. Mo Facta

Mo Facta Active Member

Sorry. Stupid iPhone predictive text! I meant ASIO direct monitoring. Get ASIO4all too. That will help.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?0ud2t2