1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Improving my mastering chain: new converters

Discussion in 'Converters / Interfaces' started by Alécio Costa - Brazil, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Alécio Costa - Brazil Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have been doing a search for "high-end" converters.

I came across the Mytek Stereo 96 AD DA series. Anyone else using them?

I have already given up from the Apogee Rosetta 200, Aurora 8 and the 192 I/O.

Also, do you guys use mixed brands for the a/d d/a? For example, use a more expensive a/d like Lavry Black and a simpler D/a from Apogee, Mytek?

2. bent

bent No Bad Vibes! Well-Known Member

At RC we have an Apogee AD8000 for tracks 1-8 and three Digi 888/24's for the remainder.

Old, yes - but I really do dig the Apogee.

I haven't used Mytek gear, but the specs look good, and I'm pretty sure it has received good reviews here...

Cucco probably has some good info he could share on this topic.

3. Thomas W. Bethel

Thomas W. Bethel Well-Known Member

Check out the Benchmark stuff before you make any firm decisions.

Link removed We own the DAC-1 and the ADC-1

4. DIGIT

DIGIT Guest

Depends on budget. The Mytek sound a bit more transparent (IMO) than my Apogee, in turn the Lavry Gold sounds more transparent than the Mytek, again IMO.

I don't do mastering but, comparing the Mytek with my Apogee PSX-100 SE in my studio I have heard the following:

I recorded the same 5 minutes of music playing on of my hand-made classical guitar, various acoustic instruments, some synths and vocals. The Mytek A/D conversion was 'cleaner' overall but, arguably a bit anemic for certain sounds. With the classical guitar track, bass notes were a bit clearer, each note in a chord a bit more distinguishable, perhaps with a nicer space between notes. Same was true for some other acoustic instruments such as shakers, hats, etc...

Electric bass sounded better on the Apogee as did drums in general, electric guitar (clean and distorted) synths and vocals. The mids in general were 'nicer' IMO on the Apogee. But, that would depend on the style of music too, personal taste, particular instrument, etc...

In other words, as far as production work goes, each converter may have a certain sound that is more appropriate or preferred for a particular track. I use all three (Apogee, Mytek and Lavry). If I were forced to use one it would be the Lavry Gold.

In Mastering you have different requirements altogether.

So, for the money, the Mytek may well be the best sounding A/D/A converter for your purpose.

Also, do you want to upsample? If so, do you do it in software or in real time, through a converter? Mytek has an upsampling unit too but, I have never auditioned that one.

5. Massive Mastering

Massive Mastering Well-Known Member

I couldn't live without the Crane Song HEDD. Especially for the D/A after the analog chain. The A/D is split between the HEDD and a Bel Canto e.One DAC3.

6. Michael Fossenkemper

Michael Fossenkemper Distinguished past mastering moderator Well-Known Member

I like all kinds of converters. Some have a funky color, some are clean, etc... It's nice to be able to pic and choose if you can. But if I had to have just one, i'd go with a clean sounding one.

7. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Hi,
    I have got one hand at a Hedd 192. Fingers crossed here.

8. TrilliumSound

TrilliumSound Active Member

Hi Alécio,

I also like different converters and yes I like to mix different ones. I like the Rosetta A/D for Rock / Metal etc... I frequently switch the A/D's from the Rosetta and the Lavry Black (more neutral) and I always keep a Benchmark DAC-1 for monitoring, I am used to it, like it a lot and translate very good in my setup.

Richard

9. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Cool!
    However, I find it weird when usersreport that brand X/Model Y has more top end, more bottom.

Isn´t the goal of a converter to be as transparent as possible and loyal to original sound sorce?
    :roll:

10. TrilliumSound

TrilliumSound Active Member

I agree with you, but for A/D's, I like to have choice that might get closer to the client's sonic goals/taste. I did not try all the converters available in a "real working" situation in my studio so I could change my opinion about that but till now, clients are happy and so am I.

Richard

11. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Hi,
    I have just completed two months with my Hedd 192.
    My setup now is killer: Pendulum Ocl2 + Crane Ibis Eq + Crane Hedd 192 + PT HD 192 Digital I/O.

In close future I want Crane STC8 and a second analog EQ, probably Millennia .

12. music_guy

music_guy Guest

If you can afford Lavry or Crane Song Go for it

13. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Hi, Edward. Look above: I´ve got the Crane Hedd 192 already. At this very moment I am using it here for cutting an Axé Music Song.
    Thanks for the tip.

14. music_guy

music_guy Guest

Congratulations on a great purchase. Since you have both {the Rosetta} - what differences do you hear now? What sort of apparent improvement has taken place in converting music? Just asking.

Best regards,

15. Massive Mastering

Not AC, but I'll throw in - Had both - Dropped the Apogee quickly after auditioning the HEDD. Just better across the board - and not as subtle as I thought - 100% blind A/B.

From what I hear (no pun intended) the Rosetta turns into a different unit when clocked from the Big Ben... But the HEDD already has a great clock. Plus those wonderful Pentode and Tape functions...

16. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Hi,
    I upgraded from the 02r96v2 (!!!) to the Hedd.

I had just a minor experience with the Rosetta. Not so different from the 192 I/O Analog.

17. Link555

Link555 Well-Known Member

Yep I have to agree, I like my hedd 192 as well. When I was buying I checked in the Benchmark and Lavry units. I ended up with the cranesong. I also picked up the avocet for my monitors and am really happy with it.

18. music_guy

music_guy Guest

Thanks Massive, as usual very knowledgeable - but let me re-phrase my question to you: what sort of direct state of being in proportion to the phase shift to frequency over the frequency range in comparison to the Apogee do you hear?

No pun intended to the Apogee Electronics Corp or to a nb comp? :D

Best regards,

19. Massive Mastering

I just listened to it - I didn't interview 'em. The Rosetta just sounded "smaller" by comparison. A little more forward in the mids (in typical Apogee style), a little "less smooth" everywhere else.

20. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Hi, John.
    I do agree with you. Got the same impression in my quick listening test.
    (192I/O, Rosetta 200, 02R96, Hedd).