1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

In Line Attenuators

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by BobRogers, Apr 5, 2008.

1. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

I'm hoping to get an API 3124+ at the end of next week (been on backorder). I've been told to expect a very hot signal, so I may have to buy a bunch of inline attenuators. The only one that gets several hits is a search is the Audio-Technica AT8202. Any other brands to consider? If I'm going to dedicate 4 to the 3124, I don't need the switchable pad. Any brands to avoid?

2. TVPostSound

TVPostSound Guest

Hey Bob,

Here's something to consider:
    http://www.adesignsaudio.com/atty.html

Since I own an A-Designs Pacifica, and the designer Peter Montessi is practically a neighbor, he gave me a couple of ATTYs to try.
    One of the uses was as a passive line attenuator after the Pacifica, and it works pretty well.

These run under $80 street.

3. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Well-Known Member

Both Hosa and Shure make them as well.

4. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Guest

Bob, I can say this just doesn't add up.

I've used my own API 312/3124, for over 25 years. They produce a standard output of + 4 from the rear XLR outputs and a slightly lower level from the 1/4" outputs which are also balanced. You don't need any in-line pad for these.

If you think the level is too hot? Turn down the trim. Or take the 1/4" outputs if you're going into a -10 low line level input. Really.

On the 3124m, the left & right outputs, from the mixer section, are not only unbalanced but there level adjust is actually a potentiometer slung directly on the output. So it is actually a stereo output adjustable pad. That's just for the stereo output from the internal mixer. Not the same from the direct preamp outputs.

So don't bother with in-line pads unless the name is Stay-Free?
    Ms. Remy Ann David

20 channels of 312
    Ms. Remy Ann David

5. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

Well, I was a little surprised to read the comments that said it had an unusually hot signal. I think the issue is that Boswell feels the 3124+ sounds best running hot. Of course, I'll see what it's like when the unit comes in, and I wasn't planning to plunk down for the pads unless I felt there was a problem. Figured it was a useful thing to know regardless. At any rate, it may be moot. I finally plunked down for a D25 breakout cable so I can use the line inputs on my OctoPre, and on the line inputs the level control goes from -10 to +10 dB, so I should have at least a little pad there if necessary.

6. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

A switchable line attenuator can be a useful thing.
    once you have worked out what attenuation you want
    make one
    DIY
    :)

http://www.uneeda-audio.com/pads/
    this one has a table for Microphones
    passive pads can be influenced by the load
    so don't just go by what the label says
    - double check the results then buy the parts

7. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Bob, you are quite correct in remembering that I mentioned using in-line attenuators on the API 3124+ outputs, which can go to +32dBu. BUT, it depends on what I am recording and what the API is driving. I use them only when I am recording jazz/folk/rock material (not classical) and I am driving my HD24XRs, which have a clip level of only +19dBu. For other use, I don't attenuate.

With your Octopre, you shouldn't need external attenuators if you set the line in gain to -10dB, as that gives you +30dBu input levels before the limiter kicks in (if enabled) or +32dBu before the overload LED lights.