1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

In search of recording console

Discussion in 'Recording' started by OTRjkl, Dec 26, 2002.

1. OTRjkl

OTRjkl Guest

Hey, all -

I am engineering the weekly live recordings of a 20+ pc jazz orchestra at a small church every Sunday evening. We are recording the performances and prepping them for air-play as well as product sales.

We are currently using an old SoundTracs CM4400 console and I am mixing live to DAT. In the future, we plan to set up for multi-track. The console is working well for now. However, it is a 32 input board and I am just about to max it out - and there are plans to add string & woodwind sections and some french horns. I can see us using 48 inputs at some point.

I am writing this to all of you as a request for any information that anyone might have on a good, clean, quiet used recording console that is in good workable condition. We need it to work properly as we will only have enough time to install it once we get it - no down time is available.

It will need to accomodate at least 48 inputs - probably more like 56 - and be a 24-bus console to handle the multi-tracking. I am looking for an analog board of the AMEK, OTARI, API, SSL (ha!), etc. type. (You get the idea. No Mackies please.)

If anyone has any leads on a board, please contact me at the e-mail address listed below. Pictures would be awesome. We have a couple of months, but I am on the hunt now.

Please feel free to pass this info along to anyone else you might know that could be of help.

Thanks for your time.
    God Bless.

E-mail: OnTrackRecording@sbcglobal.net
  2. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Jul 2, 2002
    77 Sunset Lane.
    Check with Randy Blevins at Blevins Audio in Nashville. http://www.blevinsaudio.com He handles a lot of used stuff, MCI primarily. Also you could subscribe to Pro Audio Marketplace, you guessed it right, :D the link is; http://www.proaudiomarketplace.com $25 a year, lots of used pro gear, consoles, mics, comps the works. .... Fats
  3. OTRjkl

OTRjkl Guest

Thanks. I'll check them out.
  4. RobGainer

RobGainer Guest

Hi Jeff,
    In addition to the links that Cedar referred, I'd also suggest looking at soundbroker.com as they have a pretty extensive list of currently available consoles in all price ranges.