1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

increase gain from ipod to active studio monitors

Discussion in 'Monitoring / Headphones' started by gnommon, Feb 15, 2012.

1. gnommon

gnommon Member

Hi,

Im looking for a solution to increase the balanced gain on active studio monitors. Im new to studio equipment.

here is my setup:
    2 x Krk Rokit 6 active studio monitors
    xlr to mini 3.5
    Ipad 2

ipad and speaker volume is set to max. I get 92 Db but there is no punch to the sound. I assume the speakers need more signal going in.
    When I use the KRks on my PC, they have plenty off "punch".

I tried a nuforce Ido, but that didnt change anything. If its the Vrms that I need to increase the Ido has 2 Vrms.

Any recommendations on a small device that increases the gain going into the krks, preferably something the size of the Nuforce Ido.

best
    gnommon

2. bouldersound

bouldersound Real guitars are for old people. Well-Known Member

Look at level converters like this one from Rolls: Rolls Corporation - Real Sound - Products MB15b Promatch and More

3. dvdhawk

dvdhawk Well-Known Member

Have you tried a Y cable like this - that goes from 1/8" stereo male (iPad end) to two RCA males (plugged into the RCA unbalanced inputs on the back of the KRK)? I think it would be more compatible signal levels.

4. gdoubleyou

gdoubleyou Well-Known Member

Did you turn volume limit off, in the settings/ music?

5. vttom

vttom Active Member

Get yourself a line-out cable such as this...

http://www.amazon.com/Ziotek-ZT1900664HC1-2-Feet-30Pin-Stereo/dp/B0051MQJ2U/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1329510904&sr=1-8

6. bouldersound

bouldersound Real guitars are for old people. Well-Known Member

I would do the line out cable (the kind that plugs into the bottom slot) and then use a level converter.