1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Incredible!!!: Examining the Yamaha NS-10M "Tissue

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by pan, Feb 22, 2003.

1. pan

pan Guest

This seems unreal:

http://www.bobhodas.com/tissue.html

interesting though...

n

2. audiowkstation

audiowkstation Active Member

The original NS10's were flat (ones with curved tweeter protector)

The update (squared off protector) had tweets that are 1.5 to 2dB hot. The tissue (charmin single ply) reduces the output of the tweeters enough to keep your mix in the highs good enough, and not too mello.

Old trick done for years...

3. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Anyone ever try taping the tissue over their ears? :D I can see it now. A bunch of folks sitting in a control room with Butt Wipe (not any butt wipe, only Charmin single ply) taped to their ears, saying "Turn up the highs a little more!" Next thing someone's gonna tell us to wear those "free cowboy hat" ass gaskets they supply in public bathrooms when mixing.

Hey, !!! Lets mix with earplugs! Yeah, that's it... yeah and drive with blinders, Yeah! That's the ticket! Yeah.... Fats :w:

4. Ethan Winer

Ethan Winer Active Member

Fats,

> (not any butt wipe, only Charmin single ply) <

And not just any Charmin single ply butt wipe, but vintage Charmin butt wipe. If it's not aged at least 10 years it won't work as well.

--Ethan

5. Mario-C.

Mario-C. Active Member

mmmhh.... pre '92 charmin butt wipe, ok I'm taking note, is that used or unused ?

6. Ethan Winer

Ethan Winer Active Member

Mario,

> is that used or unused ? <

It depends on how "warm" a sound you like. :d:

--Ethan

7. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Unused on the tweeter, used on the woofer. Crank it up and watch the sh*t fly!!! Fats p.s. I can only imagine where this is going to take us....

8. EdWray

EdWray Active Member

NOS Charmin? :d:

9. realdynamix

realdynamix Well-Known Member

Correct, this is not a new thing at all, I remember seeing cotton taped across tweeters in many small studio's since the early 70's. This is back in a time when small control rooms could not use the larger monitor's and had to resort to a custom build, smaller design, which were not available commercially. So the tissue, and cotton was a tweek to help smooth things out.
    --Rick

10. pan

pan Guest

Fats wrote
    LOL, exactly where I imagined this topic to go...