1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

info on partitions with XP

Discussion in 'Recording' started by fabrice, Jan 29, 2003.

1. fabrice

fabrice Guest

hi,

can someone point me to a place where i can find out more about disc partitions?
    i would like to understand, when i'm in Disk Management in XP, the differences between primary, extended partitions and logical drives.

following Opus' guide, partition (C)System is primary, (D)Multimedia -same physical disk- is logical drive and so is (E)Audio.

i've also got another HD (120GB) in a external USB2.0 enclosure;
    i've partitionned that one as logical drive too; is that good?
    but, how come i can't format it as FAT32?

system:
    Intel D850 EMV2, P4 2.4G, 512MB RAM, WinXP pro, Nuendo

thanx in advance

2. lorenzo gerace

lorenzo gerace Active Member

Hi

Maybe you can find some infos Here , thats' where I got some valuable infos on how to set up a dual boot system (and relative partitions); from there try doing a search for the word "partition" if you need more or other.

Hope this helps

L.G.

3. Ethan Winer

Ethan Winer Active Member

Fabrice,

> can someone point me to a place where i can find out more about disc partitions? <

I described the basics as they apply to music computers in Part 1 of my recent series for Keyboard magazine. It's now on my web site:

http://www.ethanwiner.com/articles.html

> differences between primary, extended partitions and logical drives. <

There can be up to four primary partitions on a hard drive. But if you make one of those an extended partition, you can then create as many logical partitions underneath as you want.

> i've also got another HD (120GB) in a external USB2.0 enclosure; ... how come i can't format it as FAT32? <

I think 120 GB exceeds the maximum for a FAT32 partition.

--Ethan

4. fabrice

fabrice Guest

Ethan and Lorenzo,
    thank you very much for your links (both useful).
    i appreciate your help indeed.

cheers, :c: