1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Intel® Pentium® M Processor

Discussion in 'Recording' started by pandamonkey, Nov 16, 2003.

1. pandamonkey

pandamonkey Active Member

Ok, could someone please explain the "Pentium M" Processor? Is this the same as P4 etc? How is the Pentium M Processor in a laptop related to audio and the like?
    Best regards,
    mIchAEl

2. pandamonkey

Can no one answer my question..... :confused:
    mIchAEl

3. SHINEBOXNJ

SHINEBOXNJ Guest

Michael-

THe Pentium M processor is the Mobile Processor you would find in a lot of laptops. The front side bus is cut down which uses a lot less power making it more ideal for a mobile set up. I think the M processors are at 400Mhz FSB, but I could be wrong. I know the cpu speed is up around 2.6 ghz, possibly more now. I am sure you can get away with doing some audio on an M processor, but you wouldn't be able to get down and dirty. I dont think there is that much of a price difference between a regular P4 and M P4, once again I could be wrong.

Hope that helps.. a little.

-Mark

4. pandamonkey

The above quote means that it demands less on a battery?
    What is the average FSB of a P4 and what aspects of my audio production work would suffer from the M processor reduction?
    What would be a recomended FSB speed for audio on a laptop in relation to price and availability?

Best regards,
    mIchAEl

5. sserendipity

sserendipity Member

Yes, by reducing it's cpu horsepower when on battery power.

All of it :>
    The fastest you can afford, and is available. Sorry that I can't be more specific, but it's a real bottle neck on your system's speed.

6. knightfly

knightfly Active Member

I recently bought a Toshiba Satellite P4 laptop, which has a 533 mHz FSB - most portables are still at 400 FSB, and desktop procs are up to 800 FSB without overclocking - this determines memory transfer speeds, so is very important for any and allplug-ins etc -

However, most laptops are further choked by 4500 rpm drives, mine is no exception. This will limit track count in multitrack software. There are aftermarket drives, by Hitachi I think, that are 7200 rpm for laptops. Ive not looked into them yet, but that should speed things up some.

Hope that helped... Steve