1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Intentional phase-reversed recording technique

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Clueless, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Clueless

Clueless Guest

As I continue to struggle/experiment/learn how to get the sound I want from my mics, pres, and oh yes, voice, I was inspired to try something new (to me) and it kinda, sorta, works. I take two tracks (recorded with different mics and pres), eq and compress both so that they sound as good as I can make them, but neither one "just right". I then take the one I like better as the reference, then bring up the other one, but with a reversed phase. If I bring this up too much, phase cancellation makes my voice way too thin, but if I bring it up say 6db down, it seems to really cut out the stuff that I haven't figured out how to EQ away.

How prevalent is this technique? Does it have a special name? If I use this technique too much, will I go blind?
  2. realdynamix

realdynamix Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2001
    :) Comb filtering? Maybe there is another term :confused: , but I guess it is like comb filtering. Certain frequencies being cancled out, or re-enforced effected by the amount of combined gain. You may want to pan these mono, or monitor check them in mono to make sure they don't change in the mix.

3. zebra50

zebra50 Guest

Filtering indeed. The approach is something we've used quite a bit, on vox & electric guitars. You can get some pretty strange phasing artifacts (sometimes it sounds like flanging!) by compressing separately and then mixing two reverse phase tracks - I prefer to mix the two mics to taste and then compress the two together, but If you like it, go with it.
  4. Clueless

Clueless Guest

Definitely panned mono--it does sound wrong when panned wide (or stereo). I'll try phase->sum->compress to see how it differs from phase->compress->sum. Thanks!